Squeak......Squeak.......

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
BrowneBlue
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Squeak......Squeak.......

Post by BrowneBlue »

I know this is something you would have to be here to diagnose, but thought I might get some opinions. My '67 D200 with 318 and NP435 has developed a squeaking sound while the engine is running. How can I figure what it is? I imagine it is the alternator (which I had rebuilt last year) or the water pump. The water pump might be cheaper, but more difficult. The alternator would be more costly, but easier. What do you think? Thanks,Scott :thinking

chance
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Orlando, FL

Re: Squeak......Squeak.......

Post by chance »

Hey. Squeaks and Chryslers.....they kind of go together don't they?

I have run into that a few times. Sometimes if it is the alternator - you can get away with hitting that center bearing with a small shot of seafoam or wd. The alt on my '66 d-100 started squeaking too once and it was just loose. Obviously if it's the water pump it's going to show itself pretty soon. Once on one of our RT's I didn't have the valve covers vented correctly and the vacuum from the engine would pull the oil away from the cam and IT would start squeaking. It was crazy.

I am new to the site. Perhaps a senior member will know more. Good luck.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

BrowneBlue wrote:I know this is something you would have to be here to diagnose, but thought I might get some opinions. My '67 D200 with 318 and NP435 has developed a squeaking sound while the engine is running. How can I figure what it is? I imagine it is the alternator (which I had rebuilt last year) or the water pump. The water pump might be cheaper, but more difficult. The alternator would be more costly, but easier. What do you think? Thanks,Scott :thinking
I think you're in for an easy/costly or a difficult/cheap repair :lol: . Seriously though..... those you've
mentioned are the NORMAL items that can develop a squeal. You're sure it is coming from the top
of the engine.... right? :thinking Worn throw-out bearings have been known to put out some noise
too. [that would be a "dirty, difficult, time consuming/relatively inexpensive" job....]
John

BrowneBlue
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BrowneBlue »

hmmmm......hadn't thought of the lower end! :pale Surely it isn't that, but I guess I could remove the belt and run it for a second or two and see? I might be just as well off to go ahead and replace the water pump since I also have to replace some hoses, heater shut off and figure out what happened to the Temp Gauge...... :thinking

MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MOPAT »

try running an old bar of soap on both sides the belts while its running.
Keep away from the fan and pulleys..apply in the middle of the belts.
Count your fingers when done.
68 W200 383/727 Dynatrac 35 spline 4.10 limited slip rear end
68 D200 CS {parts for the '68 W200}
71 D200 CS ADVENTURER{parting out
79 B200 van with 'crate' 360/360hp 3.23 Auburn limited slip
73 CJ5 304V-8 Metal Cab
"They ain't pretty But they're paid for"!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

MOPAT wrote:try running an old bar of soap on both sides the belts while its running.
Keep away from the fan and pulleys..apply in the middle of the belts.
Count your fingers when done.
Dial or Irish Spring Pat? :lol: Could be a quick fix :study :Thumbsup
John

BrowneBlue
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BrowneBlue »

I did drop a little Turbine Oil on the shaft behind the pulley on the Alt. I don't know if it was my imagination, but the squeak seemed to lessen some.