Vin # location on LA318

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
1968D200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Arlington - Washington
State: WA

Vin # location on LA318

Post by 1968D200 »

Hi Guys

I pretty sure my truck is matching numbers but I want to be positive. With all the grease and no manual I haven't been able to locate the Vin # on the engine. I bet you guys know where to look :study
Collin ~ 1968 D200, LA318 & AT 727

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Vin # location on LA318

Post by Hobcobble »

Well... I have a 50% chance here :lol: .... I believe casting numbers are on the left
side of the block.
John

1968D200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 1968D200 »

Thanks for the information John. I will take a look as soon as I get all the sludge off the block.
Last edited by 1968D200 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Hobcobble wrote:Well... I have a 50% chance here :lol: .... I believe casting numbers are on the left
side of the block.
John
Since left can be either side depending on how you look at it, I think you improved your chances. :lol:

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Collin

There is an very easy LA Engine ID for "curb side spotter's". From the driver's side of the engine, look at the Harmonic Balancer. If the unit appears as wide as the lenght from your first finger tip to the first nuckle joint, it is an 318 ( or a 273 or 340 ).

If the Balancer is appars as wide as the first joint on your finger to the second joint, then think LA 360.

Numbers matching is not you are looking for if you are going to have a "Pebbles Beach Truck" since this was not recorded in this manner. The Year and the engine size to match the VIN is the thing.

Items to show that something has happened is exhaust manifolds are the 1975 design, or the 1990 "Magnum" design; the engine colour; the valve cover's ( have the 1975 and newer smog holding bracket on the passenger side ); have a 4 bbl carb on the engine and several other items.

The number/numbers that you are seeking is on the passenger side of the engine behind the exhaust manifold.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

soopernaut wrote:
Hobcobble wrote:Well... I have a 50% chance here :lol: .... I believe casting numbers are on the left
side of the block.
John
Since left can be either side depending on how you look at it, I think you improved your chances. :lol:
Well.... I blew it :lol: It sounds as though the casting numbers are on the right side...... meaning
"passenger" side.
John

1968D200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 1968D200 »

Interesting, I did find numbers on both side of the block. The number on the drivers side does indicate that is xxxxx - 318 - 4

So I my assumption is that its a 318. However neither number left or right matches the Vin #as you indicated Rodger. The manifolds don't appear to have any brackets that I could see today.

I'm still not sure if this is the trucks original engine. I know the title was lost as it sat in a field for years then a new one issued. The previous owner stated it was 87k original miles which I don't believe :)

dwc43
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dwc43 »

The date the engine was built is also on the side of the block. That will tell you what year it is. If your truck is a '68 then the engine would be either a '67 or '68 depending on when it went down the line. Same thing for cars too. :salut
Check out our club at http://www.musiccitymoparclub.com

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Rodger »

Collin

The engine casting numbers was just answered for you in the last post from Tenn.

You may also "hook-up" with your local MoPar Club in your area. As stated, the car info is the same on most of the trucks.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Is the actual VIN on the engine or do you just have to go by the date and casting numbers? :study

69PowerWagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Banos
State: CA

Post by 69PowerWagon »

Here is the location of the engine serial #. This pic is from the 65-67 Dodge truck shop manual. The serial # is just under the head on right side of the picture.

1952 B3GA truck
1971 D200 440 727
1976 D200 318 4spd

dwc43
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dwc43 »

soopernaut wrote:Is the actual VIN on the engine or do you just have to go by the date and casting numbers? :study
Yes, the last part of the vin is cast on the blocks. Not the whole vin, just the last few numbers. :salut
Check out our club at http://www.musiccitymoparclub.com

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Rodger »

Hola There

I am totally confused now. All this time I have been told the number stamped in the block on the right side of the photo was coding to show the year date of mfg and the engine's size. For the number cast in the block while making the block was the casting code relating to the mfg's engine block size and etc. That every engine made during that "run" had the same numbers.

Thank You for correcting.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Attachments
1967 Imperial & Chrysler Fan Spec's.jpg

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Actually the VIN isn't cast on the block anywhere. When the engine was cast they had no idea what it was going to be put into. The 68 and newer engines had the last 8 digits of the VIN stamped on the lower rail on the passenger side. I have never tried to locate this number so I might have to look for one. The numbers cast on the passenger side will have the date, time and shift the block was cast. On the driver's side was the casting number, engine displacement and casting revision number. There were about 6 casting numbers used for the LA 318 through around 1975. On most LA blocks there will also be a number stamped on the front of the block right below the driver's side head. This will have information such as displacement, plant, assembly date, sequence number and possibly special information about the engine. There may also be special symbols or numbers stamped on other parts of the engine.