Oil pressure/ temp guages

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Oil pressure/ temp guages

Post by Hewy »

Any ideas how to install gauges on a Poly engine I can't find a spot to put the temp gauge I have. It is mechanical with a bulb at end of tube to be inserted into oil flow??
"Hewy"
1964 D100 318 poly sweptline
1964 D100 225 /6 short utiline

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Oil pressure/ temp guages

Post by Hobcobble »

Hewy wrote:Any ideas how to install gauges on a Poly engine I can't find a spot to put the temp gauge I have. It is mechanical with a bulb at end of tube to be inserted into oil flow??
I believe some folks have "hogged out" the electrical sensor hole for a mechanical gauge
on small blocks as there isn't a factory threaded hole on the intake. For the mechanical
oil pressure, just use the same hole as the electrical sensor.... it should be universal. I
did this on my D200 and used a non-chintzy gauge and also used the copper sending
tube as opposed to the plastic tube they sell with the oil gauge. Now that I think about it....
I wonder if someone will swipe that copper tube and turn it in for scrap price? :joker
John

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LaA

Post by tom-adc »

Hewy wrote:Any ideas how to install gauges on a Poly engine I can't find a spot to put the temp gauge I have. It is mechanical with a bulb at end of tube to be inserted into oil flow??
Let me see if I have this right, you have a mech oil pressure gage & a mech oil temp gage or is it a mech water temp gage?

Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Hewy »

Both are oil gauges, one temp the other pressure.
I wanted to add them to the stock gauges. As you know stock is an idiot light for pressure and water temp.
I thought there is a place near the oil flow that I can install at least the temp guage.
Any thoughts?
"Hewy"

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Hewy wrote:Both are oil gauges, one temp the other pressure.
I wanted to add them to the stock gauges. As you know stock is an idiot light for pressure and water temp.
I thought there is a place near the oil flow that I can install at least the temp guage.
Any thoughts?
Whoa.... I was way off... :lol: :lol: .... disregard my post :salut
John

Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Hewy »

John. Easy to be ...er.... ah..... mislead. :lol: I didn't make my question clear.
What I'm finding out, is there is no place on a Poly engine to install a mechanical temp sender for OIL.
The "bulb" at the end of temp gauge has a 5/8 " threaded collar and the "bulb" or prob is 3/8" dia. 1 1/4" long
The pressure gauge should be easier.
There's got to be away to do it. :thinking
"Hewy"

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tom-adc »

For the oil temp (not sure why you want one) You could pull the oilpan and weld the proper fitting into it. I don't know the poly engine where is the oil filter? anyway to get an after market adapter into it?
Not sure if I'd do it but a visit to NAPA where all the brass fittings are plus your adapter in hand you should be able to mickey mouse something to adapt both the pressure and temp into the same hole.
If you were close I'd help you might be fun. :Thumbsup
EDIT do a word search at www.summitracing.com for remote oil filter I'm sure you can find a kit that will let you adapt that temp gage.

Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Hewy »

Tom adc, We are not that far apart I live in Riverside. As a matter of interest I went to the Father's Day Car Show in Murrieta Sunday, been going there for some 15 years.
Anyway I was also thinking of a prob into the oil pan for a well......................mickey mouse? attachment point.
Reason for oil temp is ....cuz I want to :dance
"Hewy"

dwc43
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dwc43 »

The oil pan is the only place to put the temp gauge at. We add to extra bungs to the pans on our race cars right beside the drain plugs. On is for the oil temp gauge the other is for a warning light. :)
Check out our club at http://www.musiccitymoparclub.com

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tom-adc »

I say mickey mouse but jury rigged would have worked a series of fittings coming from the oil pressure tap, but as mentioned the oil pan is best place.
I think you should do some research on the different remote oil filter adapters the may be one with a outlet you could use.
On the street I'd worry about a fitting in the oilpan not a leak but protecting the capillary tube from damage.
If you do this it will require pictures :Thumbsup

Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Hewy »

Yep I also have reservations about installing it in oil pan. I'll look into the remote filter , just might be the better way to go.
Mickey mouse always implied bailing wire and duct tape to me. Jury rigged has a little better sound. Now "home engineering " at least somebody thought about it ..:lol: :lol:
"Hewy"

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tom-adc »

Maybe if you had a fitting in the oil flow with a standpipe long enough for the bulb to fit into might work still think it will need oil flow to be accurate.