How to install door locks

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
mightydodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kansas City/Missouri

How to install door locks

Post by mightydodge »

Thanks to everyone for all the help getting my door locks to work. As promised, I will share what I learned.

1. The clip that hold the connecting rod to the door latch must be tight. The clip has a tendency to loosen up over time. Take the clip off the door latch and bend it back tight so that it has a secure hold on your connecting rod.

2. Coat the z-end of the connecting rod with liquid electrical tape. Liquid electrical tape is available at any parts store.

3. After the liquid electrical tape has cured (approx. 1 hour) slide a piece of shrink tube onto the z-end until the end is right on the curve so that once the rod is inserted into the hole on the lock cylinder the rod cannot slide too far through the hole. This will tighten up the operation of the door lock. IMPORTANT: be careful when shrinking the shrink tube. Liquid electrical tape is very flammable.

4. Look at the attached photos. They should give you a good idea of what the finished product should look like. Hope this helps someone.
Attachments
Rod with instructions.JPG
Rod 1.JPG
Clip 1.JPG
1968 Dodge D-100
225 ci, 3-speed

mightydodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kansas City/Missouri

Re: How to install door locks

Post by mightydodge »