Door Locks Question

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
mightydodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kansas City/Missouri

Door Locks Question

Post by mightydodge »

OK, you'd think this would seem simple but I must be missing something. I have my lock cylinders in the doors, but I must not be hooking up the rod to the door latch correctly; I can't get either side to work. Has anyone done their lock cylinders? Can someone please give me some instruction? My truck didn't have any locks hooked up when I bought it so I've never seen any hooked up correctly.
1968 Dodge D-100
225 ci, 3-speed

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Door Locks Question

Post by digdoug »

Sometimes the lever on the end of the cylinder strips on the shaft,makeing it useless.Is this the case?

Doug

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

I believe the 68 is the same as 70.
I was having some problems with my door locks also.
There is a Z curve in the rod that connects to the back of the lock cylinder.
It is coated with a plastic dip stuff to keep the rod in place. The coating
had peeled of mine and the rod kept slipping out of place. I messed with
the bend some and got it to work better. Re dipping the rod ends was looking
like the solution, then someone here mentioned using shrink wrap tubing.
That was an excellent idea! However I tore the truck apart before I could put
it to the test. Actually I will probably be putting the locks back in in the next
few weeks, so I will give the shrink wrap a shot then!

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

I think this applies to all Swepts with push button doors. The lever on the lock cylinder is reversed side to side. Make sure you have the correct lock for the door. The lever should pull up when you lock the door. There should be a metal clip on the lever on the door latch that secures the link to the arm. The link has a curve in the top that keeps it from coming out of the arm on the cylinder when it is installed.
lock1.jpg
This is the drivers door latch. The metal clip on the arm will slide back toward the latch to release the link. Slide the metal clip back into place before installing the link. After you connect the link to the lock cylinder you just push the link through the clip and it locks into place.
None of the doors that I have dis-assembled had any kind of coating on the link. Could have that been a previous attempted fix?
1969 Adventurer W100

mightydodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kansas City/Missouri

Post by mightydodge »

Thanks a bunch for all the input. As far as the connection to the door latch, I was tracking on the connection, however I didn't realize that the retaining clip slid back and forth to release the connecting rod. Thanks for the heads up, it'll make it a lot easier to remove the rod now. Second, I think the posting regarding the dipping on the z end is correct. My rods have some of that dipping left on them and the real issue with my locks has been that the z end keeps moving around. I'll try the shrink wrap today and let y'all know how it goes and whether or not this is the solution. Thanks again!
1968 Dodge D-100
225 ci, 3-speed