frame swap?

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Outlaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Antone
State: TX

frame swap?

Post by Outlaw »

I'm just curious...

what model truck, perferably a mind 90's or higher could i do a complete body swap with? I was thinking would it be possible to take my 68 Camper Special body and throw it on a complete later model truck frame and use it suspension, engine, etc.
1967 D100 - Learning as I go...

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: frame swap?

Post by soopernaut »

What are you hoping to gain the most? Why mid-90s or newer?

The 72-93 frames would be the easiest and have been done before. The 94 and up frames need a lot more skill to get a Sweptline mounted on them.

Outlaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Outlaw »

i was just wanting to have a 100% solid truck with the newer luxuries & etc. but keep the old skool look of the classic dodge

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

The 94 and up is a little harder because they went with the pointier nose and more of an overhang past the front wheels. Makes it hard to adapt our body's on to that frame. I would stick with the pre 93 personally..
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

just to add what soopernaut and slick said, the 94 and up also have a wider frame under the cab also.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

You can find a pre-94 truck with most modern luxuries. I guess it depends on how luxurious you want it and how much retrofitting you want to do to get everything in your old truck.

I will be using a 77 frame that will give me IFS with power disc/drum brakes and power steering. That is basically all the modern luxuries I think I would need or need to get from the frame swap. I don't know what other things you are looking for but it may be easier to add them separately anyway. Power windows and locks, tilt, cruise and A/C weren't necessarily standard on anything newer anyway. All that can be added later and doesn't need to come from the donor truck. I don't know your experience level or fabrication skills but I would stick to a pre-94 frame. If you are looking to swap in a Hemi or something then it would be a good idea to get a donor vehicle with all the parts you need but it can be done without.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

and the frame isn't what gives ya the luxeries anyway you need a cab :lol:

Outlaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Outlaw »

I'm about to go to the dessert for a year and was thinking of dropping my truck off at a shop and having them do all the work. I basically want a brand new truck that can be used as a daily driver with a classic body.