1967 Crew Cab body Mounting

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
AmericanClassic
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

1967 Crew Cab body Mounting

Post by AmericanClassic »

Hi again all!!
1967 W200 Crew Cab: Anybody use Polyurethane body mounts yet??
Also, the truck came in with rubber mounts in the rear and the two front cab mounts were bolted directly with no rubber!? According to Vintage Powerwagons, they used an assortment of mounting cushions and sizes...
We'd like to go with nice Polyurethane but I'm not sure what sizes to get, has anyone been down this road before?
Thanks
Nick
Last edited by AmericanClassic on Mon May 12, 2008 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmericanClassic
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

CORRECTION: 1967 Crew Cab body Mounting

I mistakenly titled my post for a 1976, I really have a 1967!!
sorry for the confusion

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: 1967 Crew Cab body Mounting

Post by Hobcobble »

AmericanClassic wrote:Hi again all!!
1967 W200 Crew Cab: Anybody use Polyurethane body mounts yet??
Also, the truck came in with rubber mounts in the rear and the two front cab mounts were bolted directly with no rubber!? According to Vintage Powerwagons, they used an assortment of mounting cushions and sizes...
We'd like to go with nice Polyurethane but I'm not sure what sizes to get, has anyone been down this road before?
Thanks
Nick
I'm not sure.... but you might want to look at the Lifestyle Series ['72-'93] rear cab insulators.
The front mount on Sweptlines used a flat square chunk of something very similar to an old
time PTO drive belt.... which can be had at a farm implement/supply store. This was sandwiched
between two large washers. :study
John

AmericanClassic
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Ok cool thanks,
Lifestyle series...would that be the D,W 100-300's or the AW/DW100-150 Ramcharger's??
Prothane has a listing for both, the Ramcharger ones cover from 72-93 but the D/W100-300 covers from 72 -85
Im not sure which the Lifestyle series is...hopefully not both!
Thanks again!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

AmericanClassic wrote:Ok cool thanks,
Lifestyle series...would that be the D,W 100-300's or the AW/DW100-150 Ramcharger's??
Prothane has a listing for both, the Ramcharger ones cover from 72-93 but the D/W100-300 covers from 72 -85
Im not sure which the Lifestyle series is...hopefully not both!
Thanks again!
Look into the '72-'85 insulators. I bought a set at the local Dodge dealership a few years
ago for my '79 W200. I thought I heard that they're the same....but, as I no longer own that
truck, I can't compare them for you.
John

AmericanClassic
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Ok, thanks John-
Do you think I should get a piece of rubber for the fronts, like an 1/8 or 1/4 thick to mimick the thickness of a PTO belt? Or should I get a set of 4 equal sized insulators?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

AmericanClassic wrote:Ok, thanks John-
Do you think I should get a piece of rubber for the fronts, like an 1/8 or 1/4 thick to mimick the thickness of a PTO belt? Or should I get a set of 4 equal sized insulators?
The rear insulators are far larger. You might want to see about ordering them from your Dodge
dealership but first ask them if you can return them if they're not correct..... so you're not
stuck with them.
John

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

One half of the mount on mine is a '73 part. I owned a '73 at one time and knew the mounts appeared the same. It was the larger of the 2 pieces and turned out to be identical to the originals on our rigs. I think both halves likely are but the dealer still had some of the other half under the old #'s. They told me it is not uncommon to not make the #'s cross over after a few years even though the part may be identical with a different #. For the front mounts I cut pieces from the sidewall of an old tire.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Yelm
State: WA

Post by crusty »

I have been looking at all the trucks I can, and I think that the reason EVERY front cab mount is shoved up through the floor is that conveyor belt type of mount. I am looking at using something else to give more cushioning. Maybe regular body mounts for a newer vehicle?
What a mess.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

crusty wrote:I have been looking at all the trucks I can, and I think that the reason EVERY front cab mount is shoved up through the floor is that conveyor belt type of mount. I am looking at using something else to give more cushioning. Maybe regular body mounts for a newer vehicle?
You won't be able to use anything that is much thicker or the front of your cab will
sit too high and the fenders won't line up along the cowl body line. It is my opinion
that the rusty floorboards are mainly due to the poor drainage that the cowl design
provided. Sh*t gets clogged in the cowls and water eventually enters the cab and gets
under the rubber floor mat. After years of soaking wet jute laying against the floors,
they rust through. The mount area is recessed and water seeks the lowest point. I've
looked at many of these trucks over many years and noticed that in a lot of cases...
the underside of the floors will show less corrosion than inside the cab on the floor
area :2cents
John

AmericanClassic
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Ok, thanks!
I will go as close to the originals for the back and slip a slice of belt or thin rubber under the fronts.
Thanks guys-
Nick

Ruckus
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Stevensville, Montana

Post by Ruckus »

The rear rubber body mounts on my 78 crew are squished and cracked. Most are this way. Way too much weight on those rear mounts. Makes the truck look saggy in the middle and can cause the bed to scrape the rear of the cab under load/flex. I think they used the same mounts on the crew as the regular cab, so you do the math.. same part but more weight and stress = faster wear. Newer crew cabs have much larger diameter mounts.
78 W200 crewcab, 68 W200, 59 Willys Wagon, 52 Ford F5 Cabover

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Yelm
State: WA

Post by crusty »

Hobcobble wrote:
crusty wrote:I have been looking at all the trucks I can, and I think that the reason EVERY front cab mount is shoved up through the floor is that conveyor belt type of mount. I am looking at using something else to give more cushioning. Maybe regular body mounts for a newer vehicle?
You won't be able to use anything that is much thicker or the front of your cab will
sit too high and the fenders won't line up along the cowl body line. It is my opinion
that the rusty floorboards are mainly due to the poor drainage that the cowl design
provided. Sh*t gets clogged in the cowls and water eventually enters the cab and gets
under the rubber floor mat. After years of soaking wet jute laying against the floors,
they rust through. The mount area is recessed and water seeks the lowest point. I've
looked at many of these trucks over many years and noticed that in a lot of cases...
the underside of the floors will show less corrosion than inside the cab on the floor
area :2cents
John
I was counting on spacing everything up the same amount. I don't disagree about the water issue, though. Maybe a combination of both? It just seems to me that next to no insulation between thin and thick metal means that the thin stuff (body) WILL fail.
What a mess.

Ruckus
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Stevensville, Montana

Post by Ruckus »

It is not uncommon for the old rubber to get compressed and turn hard with age. That makes the whole assembly loose and it starts to rattle over bumps. In a short time the body metal starts to fatigue. My Willys had no body mounts left, just metal on metal with a loose bolt. This is not good. Just putting in new OEM stuff is a big improvement. Remember, it is 40 years old... you'll be 80 before it needs replaced again. On the other hand, new vehicles have very nice body mounts cause it helps with the rattle over bumps, so updating the stock system never hurts...
78 W200 crewcab, 68 W200, 59 Willys Wagon, 52 Ford F5 Cabover

AmericanClassic
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Ruckus wrote:It is not uncommon for the old rubber to get compressed and turn hard with age. That makes the whole assembly loose and it starts to rattle over bumps. In a short time the body metal starts to fatigue. My Willys had no body mounts left, just metal on metal with a loose bolt. This is not good. Just putting in new OEM stuff is a big improvement. Remember, it is 40 years old... you'll be 80 before it needs replaced again. On the other hand, new vehicles have very nice body mounts cause it helps with the rattle over bumps, so updating the stock system never hurts...
I was thinking to go with poly insulators as an updated system but they may be too hard...It seems new (stock style) stuff will have to suffice.

Now somebody had mentioned to increase the diameter of the rear mounts for added stability, but if they're too wide we may get bump steer?? Whats everyone think about that- stay stock??

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

I don't know how an increased diameter rear insulator would cause
bump steer? :thinking I'd stick with the stock height/style front
and rear insulators..... do it right.... do it once.... and then
move on :Thumbsup
John

AmericanClassic
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Agreed.
Thank you everyone for your help, much appreciated!
Nick

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

I picked up some bailer belt at the feed store this week. It was 6" wide and $3 a foot.
They only had 2 ply by the foot, it is about 3/16" thick. I got it primarily to isolate the
transfer case to the frame. A piece of 6 or seven ply was already on the bottom of
one side of the case, that was about 3/8" thick. I am still on the look out for some
thicker stuff like that, but haven't found any yet. The 2 ply stuff will be good for the
front mounts and the radiator support and frame.

Does anyone have a part number for the lifestyle cab mounts? The local dealer parts
guys are even worse than the parts store monkeys around here. They just kind of
glaze over when they hear the year start with a 19.

AmericanClassic
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

nfury8 wrote:I picked up some bailer belt at the feed store this week. It was 6" wide and $3 a foot.
They only had 2 ply by the foot, it is about 3/16" thick. I got it primarily to isolate the
transfer case to the frame. A piece of 6 or seven ply was already on the bottom of
one side of the case, that was about 3/8" thick. I am still on the look out for some
thicker stuff like that, but haven't found any yet. The 2 ply stuff will be good for the
front mounts and the radiator support and frame.

Does anyone have a part number for the lifestyle cab mounts? The local dealer parts
guys are even worse than the parts store monkeys around here. They just kind of
glaze over when they hear the year start with a 19.
Your telling me!! I noticed if they go by serial #'s only around hear!! So much for the old fashioned way of actually looking something up!!

Thanks for the tip, Im going to hit a local feed store in search of a bailer belt! I spoke with the guys at restoration specialties in PA...they said in another month or two they will be offering the rear mounts. Im supposably on a list, so I will let everone know-

AmericanClassic
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Ok guys...I've had zero luck finding rear cab mounts for this truck!!
I've tried cooper-standard...amd spoke to just about everyone in that company and they cant help!
As far as the local guys....they dont even know what a 72-93 Lifestyle series truck is!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Nick