fixing rust on my doors

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
hunter07

fixing rust on my doors

Post by hunter07 »

hi, my doors on my 70 are rusted on the bottom rear corners. They arent all the way gone just bubbles and some decay. Any one have any idea to get that slight bend of the door when i make a patch pannel? I don't have a roller. Should I use 18 gauge? Thanks very much.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

You don't need a roller, the panel is almost flat, and there isn't much of a "roll" there. What you can do is if it is a small enough patch, then just weld a "flat" piece on. If it is a larger piece then put it in a vice, and pull the top by hand and that will give it a "rolled" effect. What I did on my truck was I made a patch that goes all the way across the bottom of the door. Anyway, I made the "lip" to replicate the original door panel on the inside of the door where it rolls over the edge. I cut off the door skin and replaced it with my "new" panel and then hammered over the edge just like the original. You can also do this with just a corner patch as well. I assume that you do not have a metal break, but you can do this with a vise and make your lip with that. You may need to use a piece of angle iron on both sides to help hold the metal, and also to extend the lip past the vice jaws.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

hunter07

Post by hunter07 »

thank you very much

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

I forgot to mention about the thickness of metal. I am not sure what gauge the original is, but I just used metal from a old car. So... the thickness of the metal I used was from a early 60's Chrys. so, if you have a chance to get some flat metal from either a roof panel or hood/trunk from a JUNK car, just use that. Go to a body shop, they will probably give you some metal. We used to at our shop and gave the "junk" metal to anyone that wanted it. You can also buy metal at Home Depot home center.

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

hunter07

Post by hunter07 »

AS A MATTER A FACT, i HAVE A ROOF SECTION ALREADY CUT OUT OF A 65 IMPERAL =)