Hood Hinges/Spring

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Punky

Hood Hinges/Spring

Post by Punky »

What's the best way to fix weak hood hinges/springs on a '70 PU? They won't hold the hood down properly. Fix? Replacements available? Thanks, Punky

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Put the hinge in a vice. Have the hinge in the "OPEN" position. This way, it removes the presure off the spring during removal. Then, I used a brake spring removal tool. OR, you can use a large screwdriver. Remove BOTH springs, and then, check the play in the pivot points. Most likely, you will find plenty of play. Repair the holes by welding them up, and then, drilling them back out to a round hole. Not sure what to replace the "pin" with.... I am sure someone will also have some ideas on this. My hinges were "fairly" well... so I didn't do any repair to them, other than pulling them all apart and then cleaning them so that they move freely. Replace the hinge springs by attaching one end, and then, using the screwdriver on the other end and putting it back on the top.

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

OleRed66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: North
State: UT

Post by OleRed66 »

Replacement hinges can be found here

http://vintagepowerwagons.com/products/ ... ptline.htm

They are a little pricey, but if you think it's worth it!?
1966 Dodge D100 - Ole Red
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee - The Jeep
1985 Honda Magna - Maggie
2007 Dodge Durango Hemi (wifes) - D
1992 Plymouth Acclaim - Gramma

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Post by Cageman »

Sweet, now I see they make new bumpers too, Now I can get a new one for my 62, as it has a couple imperfections that bother me, who hooo.

125 each aint that bad, All of my hoods are shimmed up to get them close, I know what Im saving my money for now.