Tailgate trim question

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LaA
State: CA

Tailgate trim question

Post by tom-adc »

I know I should have asked when I saw the picture and now I can't find it, but there was a members truck here that has a nice piece of trim across the tailgate, almost reminded me of the trim on the trunk of my Dart GT.
What trucks came with these and what are the cahnces of finding one?

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

It could have been my truck, or it might have been Mopar400's hemi powered truck that you saw. Here's a pic of mine.

This trim came on 70 and 71 Adventurer's. It's pretty rare but you can find one if you check Ebay and this forum. It can be costly for a good one, though. The problem is that you need a flat tailgate to use it. It isn't tall enough to cover the embossed letters on the older tailgates. If you want the trim but are not too concerned about originality, check one from an '80's Dodge truck. I'm not sure, but it looks like it would cover the embossed letters and looks similar. It would be cheaper and easier to locate too.
1969 Adventurer W100

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tom-adc »

Yeah Russ thats what I'm looking for here is a picture of my tailgate before paint, I think its like yours.

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Tom, You already have a flat tailgate so you're covered there. Your other problem would be how to mount the trim. It uses plastic clips and those little studs that are welded to the tailgate. My truck originally had an embossed tailgate. I bought the flat one from someone on the original Sweptline.com forum and had the shop that painted my truck weld on the trim studs. Most shops have a stud welder that will do that.
1969 Adventurer W100

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tom-adc »

Maybe I'll pick up a peice of polished diamond plate and mount it sound good or tacky?? :thinking

Hemikuda71
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oklahoma City
State: OK

Post by Hemikuda71 »

I'd post up that your looking for that trim and the clips that go with it Tom. I know that it might be hard to find but I bet somebody here has one that they'd be willing to sell ya. And I tell ya, it sure would stand out on that red tailgate! :Thumbsup
R/T
'61 D-100 Utiline
'62 D-100 SWB
'64 D-200 LWB CSS 1 of 2 known 3/4 ton CSS's
'68 A-100 Pick Up (stolen)
'72 Challenger
'78 "Lil Red Express"
'97 Dakota Club Cab

cbody70
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Grimsby/ON

Post by cbody70 »

This is a simpler trim available for Fargo but don't know about Dodge.
Fred - "Oscar" 1969 Fargo D200 Camper Special and "Nessie" 1970 Dodge Polara Convertible

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tom-adc »

Hemikuda71 wrote:I'd post up that your looking for that trim and the clips that go with it Tom. I know that it might be hard to find but I bet somebody here has one that they'd be willing to sell ya. And I tell ya, it sure would stand out on that red tailgate! :Thumbsup
That the reason for asking the tailgate is just red there is nothing to break up the back to make it stand out.

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

tom-adc wrote:Maybe I'll pick up a peice of polished diamond plate and mount it sound good or tacky?? :thinking
Tom, my vote goes for tacky :lol: That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Find the real thing or maybe consider my suggestion about using an 80's piece would be my suggestion.
1969 Adventurer W100

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tom-adc »

Russ wrote:
tom-adc wrote:Maybe I'll pick up a peice of polished diamond plate and mount it sound good or tacky?? :thinking
Tom, my vote goes for tacky :lol: That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Find the real thing or maybe consider my suggestion about using an 80's piece would be my suggestion.
Russ I tend to agree, there aren't many if any sweptlines in the local yards but I think I'll do a check for something a little later.

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

Just don't do like the idiot that used to own my 71 and pop rivet it to the tailgate!