little back window

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
evilram
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

little back window

Post by evilram »

Hey All,

What years had the smaller back window? I don't want to offend anybody :moom by doing something weird and not factory on my truck. It's a 69. The guy who had it before had put a sudo 3 piece window setup in it. I actually like the idea of the small window. And getting one custom made seems the only option anyways, so might as well eh?

wide65
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by wide65 »

Not %100 sure but I think 61 - 66 had the smaller windows!

steven
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by steven »

I think it was 61-68, my 67 cab had a small one. The larger back window was an option every year though, my 65 cab that Im using has a large one. :Thumbsup
1967 Dodge D200 5.7 HEMI/5speed
1971 Dodge Challenger #'s 383/727
1974 Dodge D600 318 5+2
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins HO

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

The full width rear windows went from '61 through
'71. In '68, they became standard equipment. I drive
a '61 [small rear window] and a '68 [full width] and,
although I dig how the small rear window looks, the
full width is a lot more convenient to use. :2cents
John
PS.... I believe the small rear window availability
ran through '67 [not positive about '68...]
Last edited by Hobcobble on Sun May 13, 2007 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

I've got a small back window glass out of the '67 parts truck I'll sell you for $20.00 plus shipping and insurance.

BTW, the small window was available through the 1968 model year; after that, only the big window was available.

"sudo" = pseudo
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

66patrick wrote:BTW, the small window was available through the 1968 model year; after that, only the big window was available.
Are you positive? I'm with John on this one 61-67. If there are some 68s with the small window, could they have been leftover parts early in the year?

I went and looked in the registry. There are 2 1968 trucks that state SMALL BACK WINDOW. One of them was purchaced new in January of 68. The other I have no idea. :thinking

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 66patrick »

I said "it was available THRU the 1968 model year, meaning there were '68s out with the little window.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

66patrick wrote:I said "it was available THRU the 1968 model year, meaning there were '68s out with the little window.
Yes, but was it available the whole year or was it just left over parts being used on early trucks?

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 66patrick »

It's hard to imagine a "leftover part" concerning the small back window - there IS welded metal to fill the hole where the big window goes! That's not like just reaching over and grabbing a different window crank or dash knob! At model change, if there were leftovers from the previous build year and there were no changes in that particular part, it remained. If the parts were not going to be incorporated in the next year build, those parts went into the parts distribution network for dealers. Remember, there were mid-year changes in various things (better engineering, new vendor source, etc.). I can not see an early small-window cab being a "leftover" and inserted mid-year in a year they were not built them(1969). As for 1968, we all know that is a bit of a bastard year, with some parts from early '68 trucks not working on later '68 trucks.

MY GUESS is that the small back window went away sometime during the '68 build year. January would be roughly mid-year, so if there is a '68 small-window cab built later than that, then a mid-year termination of said small window would be wrong, and maybe it lasted until the end of '68 production.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Does anyone own a '68 small rear window truck?
John

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

According to the Dodge Pickups History and Restoration Guide 1918-1971, the large rear window became standard for the 1968 model year. Since nobody had written any information about these trucks before this book came out, most of the information was pulled directly from factory literature. Some of it was even word for word directly from the catalogs.

I mentioned before that there are 2 trucks in the registry that state "small rear window" for 68. One truck does not have a picture and the other one looks kinda like a large rear window. :thinking They could both be false information. The truck that was purchased in January of 68 was probably made a few months before it was sold. Who knows how long it was on the dealer lot or in the holding area at the Dodge plant. If it is a small rear window I would imagine it was leftover.

http://www.sweptline.org/SweptlineRegis ... 1281830876

http://www.sweptline.org/SweptlineRegis ... 2281808752