Steering column way loose

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Sportony
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Steering column way loose

Post by Sportony »

Have a 70 D100 with 383 automatic. The collar to the steering column and the face plate that holds the R,N,D,1,2 is way loose. Never taken a steering column apart, and I can't find any exploded schematics on the column for a 70 D100 to see how it connects so I can figure the problem as to why it is so loose. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

P.S. short background on truck - was bought with aftermarket steering wheel (looked like a go-cart steering whee) so I tried to install a stock steering wheel and now it is way loose. Really wasn't that loose with the aftermarket steering wheel. thanks

383mrollg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 383mrollg »

good to see another arizona sweptliner btw.

anyways if you have a chilton book for our trucks they have like 5 pages on steering columns etc..
you need a puller to remove the wheel ( but you probably already know that by now ) im guessing maybe there are missing splines? im sure someone of more knowledge on these trucks can help you out

chris
1970 D100, Built 383,727,3.91 SureGrip.

Sportony
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Sportony »

Thanks Chris,

Taking steering wheel off wasn't a problem. Just perplexed by the loose collar around the column. I'l try to pick up a Chiltons if they go back that far (hopefully).

MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MOPAT »

:thinking
Try used book stores or the library.
ALSO there is an outfit called autobooksbishko.com that usually has the shop manuals for swepts or the manual on CD [so you can just print the page you need. Get it all greasy and trash.] There are also other places advertising in the back of MOPAR MUSCLE, or Mopar Collector's Guide that have the CD's.
:2cents
Pat
Good Luck with your project.
68 W200 383/727 Dynatrac 35 spline 4.10 limited slip rear end
68 D200 CS {parts for the '68 W200}
71 D200 CS ADVENTURER{parting out
79 B200 van with 'crate' 360/360hp 3.23 Auburn limited slip
73 CJ5 304V-8 Metal Cab
"They ain't pretty But they're paid for"!

383mrollg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 383mrollg »

i got mine at checker auto parts store, autozone, napa, they all sell em, and i got it for 18$ i think
1970 D100, Built 383,727,3.91 SureGrip.

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

S Tony, there should be two or three real small screws in there to help hold the collar tight
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Sportony
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Sportony »

OK Cowboy.... will take a closer look at her and keep that in mind... thanks !! :salut

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

This might help.

Try tightening the set screw just under and to the right of the gear shift lever.

Is the entire column jacket loose or just the part with the gear indicator. If just the gear indicator try the set screw. If the entire column is loose the problem is at the area where the column attaches to the dash. There is a tab that engages a hole in the column to keep it from moving. The tab is on the plate that goes between the dash and column, if I remember correctly.
1969 Adventurer W100

Sportony
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Sportony »

OK.... Here are some pics. I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a "set screw" under the gear shift lever. It seems to me there should be some type of bearing or jacket to hold the shaft in the middle of the column - as you can see it is just lying on the bottom of the column, free to move any way it wants too. Am I missing a part ?

Sportony
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Sportony »

Another pic of the loose steering column. Funny thing is that the column itself is very secure (that being the tube attatched to the underside of the dash); it's the steering wheel, Gearshifter housing and the R,N,D,2,1 housing that are so loose.

MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MOPAT »

:study
IF you look at the image Russ posted you'll see there is a bearing and where it is located.
68 W200 383/727 Dynatrac 35 spline 4.10 limited slip rear end
68 D200 CS {parts for the '68 W200}
71 D200 CS ADVENTURER{parting out
79 B200 van with 'crate' 360/360hp 3.23 Auburn limited slip
73 CJ5 304V-8 Metal Cab
"They ain't pretty But they're paid for"!

cbody70
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Grimsby/ON

Post by cbody70 »

Recently the transmission shop repaired a sloppy linkage on the Fargo. When they pulled the collar to install a new pointer they found that the bearing was rusted to the column. Luckily they were able to free it but my guess is that is what may have happened to your bearing.
Fred - "Oscar" 1969 Fargo D200 Camper Special and "Nessie" 1970 Dodge Polara Convertible

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

The part that holds the shaft bearing is not on the column in your pics. Maybe these pics will make it a little clearer.This first one shows the locking screw that holds the shift collar to the shift tube.

This one shows the bearing and the top side of the holder. You don't remove the two holding screws to remove this from the column,, you only loosen them.

This is the back side of the bearing housing. You can see the nuts that you are loosening when you unloosen the two holding screws.

The bearing should be fairly tight on the steering shaft. There is a set of tools to pull the bearing off of the shaft and to press it back on, but I didn't need anything to get mine apart.
1969 Adventurer W100

Sportony
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Sportony »

Sportony
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Sportony »

O.K. - Mystery solved (I think....) My unit never had any bearing housing screws or bearing housing retaining bolts. Do I need to get a new unit ? Anyone have an idea about what I can do now to help fix this problem ? I can probably put screws and retaining bolts on the unit, but I don't see how that would make a difference in holding the unit secure, because the screws secure into the retaining bolts - on the same unit - it isn't connected to the distal housing. I never had a problem with the bearing sliding around - the c-clamp kept it in place - just the entire unit kept moving around a lot. I think I'm actually more confused now..... sorry. :thinking

Sportony
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Sportony »

I went back and checked the Gearshift housing "set screw" that secures the gear shift tube - with an allan wrench - it was tight as a fiddle, and the dang thing (housing) still moves around the gearshift tube. Something is jacked...... Guy I bought it from must have done something screwy to it. :pale

Tony