Need help identifying my D100

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
TheCreeper

Need help identifying my D100

Post by TheCreeper »

Hello, I am a new member. I just got my D100 running after it has set for three years and through two moves. I understood it was a camper special when I received it as a gift from my wife's grandfather. I have read through some posts and it seems there it debate and confusion as to what exactly a CSS is (or could be). I just want to be sure. Mine is a 1/2 ton, has a 383/727 combo, has a beefed-up suspension (helper springs), has three gas tanks (20 gal behind seat and two fender tanks @ 16 gal each, and was used with a cab-over camper. My wife, her grandfather and grandmother would go to White Sands and camp in it. So, essentially, I would like to know what it is. I am attempting to post pics and they might not go through, but here goes:
[/img]Image
[/img]Image
Image[/img]

oneowner71
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Fort Worth, TX

Post by oneowner71 »

I don't believe the CSS package was available for a 69 model, so that option is out. Most of the info I have found is that the Camper Special package was available for D200 3/4 ton trucks only, but I'm no expert. It looks to me to be a regular D100, though in really great shape! Enjoy the hell out of it now that it runs, and welcome to the site!
Thanks, Clint
1971 D-100, 318 3-spd
1970 Dude, 383 / A727
1974 Challenger, 383/A727 (451 5-speed, someday)
1971 Plymouth Satellite,
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Oklahoma
State: OK

Post by cudajimmy »

oneowner71 wrote:I don't believe the CSS package was available for a 69 model, so that option is out. Most of the info I have found is that the Camper Special package was available for D200 3/4 ton trucks only, but I'm no expert. It looks to me to be a regular D100, though in really great shape! Enjoy the hell out of it now that it runs, and welcome to the site!

I think there was a debate on a D100 camper special, and it IS publicized somewhere in a production book. Also, there is a member on the board who posted up pictures of his D100 CS. I'd do a search and see what turns up.

:usa
69 Barracuda Notchback 440
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto
65 36' Chris Craft Constellation

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Hola Wittness Protection Person

As Clintstated the Custom Sports Special was not offered by the time your truck was producted. If your truck had a slide in camper and I see you still have the tail-gate, call this a good thing. My tail-gate is gone.

I also see that you have dual chromed door mounted mirrors. My 1970 Custom W100 has painted white mounts.

By the photo, we can all see this truck has an A/C system. I have an passenger door mounted "swamp cooler".

Looks as if you have an very good truck to share with your family. Are your plans to keep it as it was purchased ???

Here is an link to what an CSS and other's are ...

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/history/segment9.html

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

TheCreeper

Post by TheCreeper »

Thanks all! I do intend to keep it as original as possible. As far as restoration, well, we'll see. I just moved back to West Texas and am working with Union Pacific RailRoad. I will try to steal time between work and my wife and four kids to work on the truck.

BigJ
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BigJ »

Here is the link to one of the debates on a "D-100 Camper Special. This is page number 4. Scroll down to where "digdoug" posted a pic of which models dodge offered a Camper Special in. Notice the article includes a D-100.

LINK:

http://sweptline.org/modules.php?name=F ... 5a5f057f44
1967 W100 Short Bed 3 speed
1995 Dodge 2500, 12 Valve, reg. cab, 5 speed, 2wd
2018 2500 4x4 Megacab 6.7 cummins

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Hola Again

If you keep in mind this truck was "Grandpa's Truck" it'd help ya keep the flames on the quarter panels a little smaller and the louder than normal exhaust "a little more like it".

In Denver is a family with an 31' 1971 Air Stream RV Trailer. The man who now has the trailer likes to tell all that when he was just learning to write his name, he did it on his "Grandpa's AS".

Does this truck still have the era radio ???

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

TheCreeper

Post by TheCreeper »

Yes, it has the "solid state" AM radio. However, it is not currently working.
And, yes, this truck will not be hot-rodded as I think it's a little too heavy for that.

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

thecreeper :welcome to the site, nice looking truck , the side door's for the two extra gas tank;s where addad by the dealee most likly But they did offer a D100 Camper special , came with the heavy duty rear spring pack , & any engine you order at the time , you got lucky with the 383 :Thumbsup
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Creeper,
:welcome Though your truck is optioned very well,(the same as my 67 D100 camper special),it is likely not one.

First,I have been told the D100 Camper Special was dropped in 68.I can't conferm this as I havent seen a 68 Camper special Sales Brochure,but I believe the sources.

Second,If it was a camper special it would say Camper Special on the fender badge,not 100.

Also the CSS and the Camper Special were two different option pacs. 67 was the last year for both,as far as I know,so far.
You just got to love those 383 trucks! :Thumbsup
Doug

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Oklahoma
State: OK

Post by cudajimmy »

digdoug wrote: Also the CSS and the Camper Special were two different option pacs. 67 was the last year for both,as far as I know,so far.
You just got to love those 383 trucks! :Thumbsup
Doug

I know where theres a 69 camper special. I believe it to be an original truck, too. Are you sure about the 67 part?
69 Barracuda Notchback 440
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto
65 36' Chris Craft Constellation

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

I also know of a 69 camper special , was all factory till last summer , when the 318 came out for the 383
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Opps! What I should have written was 67 was the last year for the CSS and D100 camper special.

Doug

TheCreeper

Post by TheCreeper »

Oh, that clears some of the confusion. It's clearer now that I know camper special and CSS are to different things.
Now off to find a good local carb rebuilder.
Thanks!

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Digdoug pretty much summed it up.

The CSS(custom sport special) and Camper Special were 2 different things.

The Camper Special was dropped on the D100 beginning with the 68 model year.

Your truck is not a Camper Special but the original owner probably ordered it with upgraded options to use it with a camper or to pull a trailer.

A Camper Special would have Camper Special badges, plus in 69 there would have been an extra set of lights on the front fenders.

A440cuda1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cheney
State: WA

Post by A440cuda1 »

truck looks pretty well optioned, do you have an adverturer badge anyware?
1962 D100 Short bed project
1963 D200 Long bed
1970 D200 Long bed

Many other old rigs, not sweptline related.

TheCreeper

Post by TheCreeper »

Nope, no Adventurer badge on it, but this all makes sense. If you knew my wife's grandpa, he is/was the type that would've spared NO expense. Heck, the air even still blows cold AND it hasn't really ran in over 7 years or so. I am pretty excited about this truck. Also, you can't tell in the pics, but it still has the old single ply bias tires on it AND THEY'RE HOLDING AIR!!!! H78-15's.