Auto Column Shift Indicator

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
cbody70
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Grimsby/ON

Auto Column Shift Indicator

Post by cbody70 »

The original shift indicator popped off and is lost because the linkage is out of alignment. I have a replacement indicator and think I know how to adjust it with the slide bolt on the tranny linkage. My problem is getting behind the column shifter ring. Anyone know what kind of puller is required? I have the steering wheel puller but it doesn't look like the right tool to get the shifter ring off.
Fred - "Oscar" 1969 Fargo D200 Camper Special and "Nessie" 1970 Dodge Polara Convertible

fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Firestone
State: CO

Post by fosh69 »

Okay, first remove the steering wheel and turn signal switch mechanism (you may have to disconnect the column plug and loosen the harness to get enough slack. On mine I just loosened the column from the dash and pulled the cover off the side of the column housing. Without removing the individual wires from the connectors, you cannot remove the mechanism completely, just enough for maneuvering). Under the mechanism on the splined shaft is a c-clip and two large phillips screws... these screws need to be loosened, but BE CAREFUL! They tighten to two square nuts behind that are not captive, but ride in sliders to align the top to the column housing. Loosen these a little at a time. The c-clip requires c-clip pliers or a decent amout of skill with a couple small flat-head screwdrivers to remove. Now if the top part (with bearing) doesn't slide off the shaft, it may need to be persuaded in a different way. Just be careful of those threads on top, 'cuz they are really soft. I actually had my whole column out for this, but you may only need a little room. That's the best I can offer... good luck!

cbody70
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Grimsby/ON

Post by cbody70 »

Thanks for the info. Last time I stopped after removing the wheel ...
Fred - "Oscar" 1969 Fargo D200 Camper Special and "Nessie" 1970 Dodge Polara Convertible

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Here's some pics that might help.

1969 Adventurer W100