Anyone ever box their frame?

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Anyone ever box their frame?

Post by nfury8 »

Has anyone boxed the frame rails? Was there a noticable difference in rigidity? Any tips? Probably use 12 guage steel?

I am digging deeper into the crew cab than I planned and am starting to get some crazy ideas! Looks like the cab will be coming off. This seems like the ideal time to box the frame rails, which will be critical for some of my later ideas.

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

I had some frame pitting on the top rail right behind the rear cab mounts and wanted to make sure I didn't lose any strength because of it. Since I had pulled the transfer case crossmember I made a plate to fit inside the frame. Bolted it all in when I replaced the crossmember and cab mounts. I think it runs from the forward rear spring mount to the rear front spring mount. I have also seen this done on the outside of the frame but those you can see that has been done. You have to look very close to see mine. I didn't notice any change at all. Not exactly the same as boxing the frame, especially since it is not full length but works real well for me.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

I was thinking of exactly that!!! I can't decide if I'm gonna use the 70 crew frame, or a newer frame and stretch it. But I'm wanting to beef it up either way. Call me crazy, but my goal is to be able to knock a powerstroke right off the :censored ing road! :lol: I also was thinking about bolting and welding channel iron on the inside of the frame rail vs boxing it in?
Doug

TimLG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by TimLG »

My 64 D100 has a reinforced frame option on the data plate. It has channel welded to the bottom of the frame. Let me know if you need a pic
Tim

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by mopardwh »

TimLG wrote:My 64 D100 has a reinforced frame option on the data plate. It has channel welded to the bottom of the frame. Let me know if you need a pic
Tim
If you don't mind, I'd really like to see a pic. :Thumbsup
Doug

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nfury8 »

Tim-

Yes, please post a picture! I am very curious how the factory handled it.

TimLG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by TimLG »

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nfury8 »

Wow! Thanks! That is some beefy stuff. I have to wonder though, which would be stiffer? The channel would be much easier for the factory to do as needed. It looks as though it isn't welded the complete length, and just stitched a couple inches every foot or so. Is this correct?

TimLG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by TimLG »

When I 1st looked at the truck, I thought it was some kind of farmer thing, since it was a farm truck. Figured it out after I bought it and saw the special equipment tag. I didn't measure, but looks like 2" of weld every 18"
Tim

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nfury8 »

I have been looking and thinking about those pictures awhile. Those plates would stiffen and strengthen the frame against sagging or bending from a load, but I doubt they would offer nearly as much support for twisting as boxing. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by mopardwh »

Yeah I'm not sure, I doubt it also. I would like to box in the full length of my frame and tie it in with the front and rear custom steel bumpers.
Doug