New member model 85 heater question

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
Post Reply
Hine63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:51 pm
City: Rossville
State: IL

New member model 85 heater question

Post by Hine63 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Hello. Im not sure if this is where i should post this, but I would like to start off by saying that there is a lot of great info on this forum. I bought a 1963 D100 short bed 225/6 4 speed in January and this site has been very helpful. So far I have done a rear axle flip using a 8 3/4 from a '73 coronet wagon and '85 chevy 1500 rear springs along with minor things like a slave cylinder and starter and I have been tinkering with the drivers door latch.
The truck has a model 85 heater that needs a new core and valve. What is the correct way to disassemble the box itself? It is out of the truck but I can't seem to find a good way in. Am i missing something? Any info is much appreciated.
And while I'm here I want to show off this "star" wheel i made.
Attachments
2105.jpeg
2104.jpeg

User avatar
hmaynord
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:49 pm
City: fairhope
State: AL
Location: lower Alabama

Re: New member model 85 heater question

Post by hmaynord » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Hine63 wrote:And while I'm here I want to show off this "star" wheel i made.
what a deal! what is the material? what machines did you use?
harris
1966 (late 65 titled as 66) D100 SWB 225-1, 3-on-tree
driving it since 12/03/71

Hine63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:51 pm
City: Rossville
State: IL

Re: New member model 85 heater question

Post by Hine63 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:20 am

I used 1018 cr steel round bar and machined it at work in an old Bridgeport with a dividing head. The latch assembly is just tacked together for now because I wasn't sure it would work haha. Seems to work fine after I reversed previous adjustments to the door.

TKfromZA
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:21 pm
City: Johannesburg
State: Foreign

Re: New member model 85 heater question

Post by TKfromZA » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:23 am

Hine63 wrote:I used 1018 cr steel round bar and machined it at work in an old Bridgeport with a dividing head. The latch assembly is just tacked together for now because I wasn't sure it would work haha. Seems to work fine after I reversed previous adjustments to the door.
Hine63,

any chance that you can supply a drawing with dimensions? I have a 66 D100 with both star wheels that are pretty much beyond repair, i.e. too far gone to get dims off them. Would be a huge help if you could supply there, as I have a snowball's hope in hell of finding a workable part in South Africa. Mopars are few & far inbetween here.

TIA
Theunis

User avatar
Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Posts: 3078
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 7:26 am
City: houston
State: TX

Re: New member model 85 heater question

Post by Txas2step » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:27 am

TKfromZA wrote:
Hine63 wrote:I used 1018 cr steel round bar and machined it at work in an old Bridgeport with a dividing head. The latch assembly is just tacked together for now because I wasn't sure it would work haha. Seems to work fine after I reversed previous adjustments to the door.
Hine63,

any chance that you can supply a drawing with dimensions? I have a 66 D100 with both star wheels that are pretty much beyond repair, i.e. too far gone to get dims off them. Would be a huge help if you could supply there, as I have a snowball's hope in hell of finding a workable part in South Africa. Mopars are few & far inbetween here.

TIA
Theunis
powerwagonjohn ( member here) rebuilds the early latch's. his # 651 -653-0147. :Thumbsup
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

User avatar
soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Posts: 8401
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Location: Des Moines,IA

Re: New member model 85 heater question

Post by soopernaut » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:02 pm

Txas2step wrote:
TKfromZA wrote:
Hine63 wrote:I used 1018 cr steel round bar and machined it at work in an old Bridgeport with a dividing head. The latch assembly is just tacked together for now because I wasn't sure it would work haha. Seems to work fine after I reversed previous adjustments to the door.
Hine63,

any chance that you can supply a drawing with dimensions? I have a 66 D100 with both star wheels that are pretty much beyond repair, i.e. too far gone to get dims off them. Would be a huge help if you could supply there, as I have a snowball's hope in hell of finding a workable part in South Africa. Mopars are few & far inbetween here.

TIA
Theunis
powerwagonjohn ( member here) rebuilds the early latch's. his # 651 -653-0147. :Thumbsup
I don't think he has star wheels though. He rebuilds the handle.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Posts: 5206
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Location: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: New member model 85 heater question

Post by PwrWgnDrvr » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:22 pm

John's PWA ad states "latch repair".
Email him at cjlapham@yahoo.com

Hine63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:51 pm
City: Rossville
State: IL

Re: New member model 85 heater question

Post by Hine63 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:20 pm

Theunis,
I can get you rough dimensions when I go back to work Monday. I was in the same boat because my wheel was ate up also. I think the most critical thing is the degree difference on each side of the wheel.

User avatar
Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Posts: 3078
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 7:26 am
City: houston
State: TX

Re: New member model 85 heater question

Post by Txas2step » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:24 am

I don't think he has star wheels though. He rebuilds the handle.[/quote]

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41180
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Posts: 5206
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Location: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: New member model 85 heater question

Post by PwrWgnDrvr » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:07 pm

Txas2step wrote: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41180
" I rebuild the star wheel style door latches with pull 'style handles.....

User avatar
soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Posts: 8401
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Location: Des Moines,IA

Re: New member model 85 heater question

Post by soopernaut » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:43 pm

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Txas2step wrote: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41180
" I rebuild the star wheel style door latches with pull 'style handles.....
When I talked to him many years ago he did mention rebuilding the handles. Maybe he built the latches at the time too but didn't mention it. I know we had people here looking for star wheels for years without finding anything. In the quote he still didn't say he has the star wheels so I guess one would have to call him to be sure.

User avatar
thehemikid
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:43 pm
City: western kentucky
State: KY

Re: New member model 85 heater question

Post by thehemikid » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:01 am

On the heater box disassembly here's page 3 of Dietzdiggler's thread, scroll down about 80% of the page.
He explains how & has about 7 pics showing disassembly. hth, it did me.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=28925&start=40

Hine63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:51 pm
City: Rossville
State: IL

Re: New member model 85 heater question

Post by Hine63 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:22 pm

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you.

Post Reply