Horn Ring Removal '69 D100

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
1969IndianaDodgeMan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Mt Pleasant
State: TX

Horn Ring Removal '69 D100

Post by 1969IndianaDodgeMan »

I have been absent from the forum for a while, but am finally getting back to work on my truck and I need some advice. My horn went from working on occasion, to not working at all. The horn will sound when you put electricity directly to it, the fuse is good, so I figure it either has to be wiring between the horn and the steering wheel, or the contacts at the steering wheel. I figured I would start at the steering wheel, and work my way towards the horn.

So my questions are this... First, does my logic make sense? Second, how do I remove the horn ring from the steering wheel - I think it should just pull off, but I do not want to force it.

As always - thanks for the help!
Attachments
IMG_2564.JPG

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Re: Horn Ring Removal '69 D100

Post by WD »

Pops off if I remember right. Horn in mine hasn't worked for years. I gave up trying to make it work sometime in 2006 or so.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

cudamike66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: california

Re: Horn Ring Removal '69 D100

Post by cudamike66 »

There are molded-in tabs and "fingers" on the inside facings of the horn ring that hold it in place. Use a somewhat flexible, non-maring tool to gently pry outward while simultaneously lifting upward. The key word here is gently...its plastic and its 40++ years old.