Headliner

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
DeeOneHundred
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: parsons
State: KS

Headliner

Post by DeeOneHundred »

Replaced rotten straw basket headliner with 1/2" foam backed vinyl from www.tractorinteriors.com. They have everything you need. Cut material oversize and leave margins un-cemented to tuck into the edges. 66 D100. Easy DIY project and not too expensive.
Attachments
d100 headliner.jpg
66 D100 survivor, 51 Plymouth Cranbrook survivor, 02 Chrysler 300M, 07 Ram Sport, 08 Jeep Rubicon, 18 Durango R/T

LPSewptline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: La Plata
State: MD

Re: Headliner

Post by LPSewptline »

Nicely done :Thumbsup
-Mark
1971 Dodge D100

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Looks great! Nice job!
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

sledgehammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: puyallup,wa

Post by sledgehammer »

Nice, and thanks for the link to the website. Think I’ll get a couple samples

DeeOneHundred
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DeeOneHundred »

Thanks. Yeah, pick some colors and get some samples. That's what I did. Got the contact cement from them also. It's a 2 person job since once you stick it, it's stuck where you put it. Cut about an inch oversize all around and position it where it needs to be. I placed pieces of tape on the cab coinciding to the cut dimensions. Mask the edges of the headliner opening in the cab and foam a couple inches before spraying them so it can tuck in the groove without any adhesive. We got the front in place letting the rest hang down, then pressed it up and stuck it from front to back. Then tucked it in all around using wood paint stir sticks. Any questions let me know.
66 D100 survivor, 51 Plymouth Cranbrook survivor, 02 Chrysler 300M, 07 Ram Sport, 08 Jeep Rubicon, 18 Durango R/T

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

Has it stayed in place on a very hot day?
If so, what contact cement did you use?
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

DeeOneHundred
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DeeOneHundred »

It's stuck well. Contact cement is Permagrip PG107 sold by www.tractorinteriors.com where the headliner came from. They deal with farm tractors and equipment so I'm sure the heat won't be an issue and can says High Temperature. Hope this helps.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

DeeOneHundred wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:25 pm
It's stuck well. Contact cement is Permagrip PG107 sold by www.tractorinteriors.com where the headliner came from. They deal with farm tractors and equipment so I'm sure the heat won't be an issue and can says High Temperature. Hope this helps.
Indeed it does! The lack of that little factoid has doomed many a project here.

Thank you! :clap
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

bw406
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by bw406 »

Thanks to you all, I just completed my headliner. I bought the material from Tractorinteriors as per prior posts. I went with 3/4" thick and had to bevel the edge foam to stuff it in but it looks nice and thick installed. They did not have the adhesive that is mentioned in this thread. I called 3M and spoke to their applications department about a suitable high temp adhesive (sun on metal roof in the TX heat). They recommended 3M Foam Fast 74 CA Spray Adhesive Low VOC for high temp applications. It went on well but have not time tested as I only finished it last night. The lighting in the attached picture is lousy, it looks better in person than in the picture.
Attachments
20221031_132654 (003).jpg

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Niagara, ON
State: Foreign

Post by 67step100 »

Looks fantastic. Is the foam already attached to the vinyl? If not did you glue in the foam to the roof first and then the vinyl or glue foam to vinyl and then roof?

bw406
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by bw406 »

67step100 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:34 pm
Looks fantastic. Is the foam already attached to the vinyl? If not did you glue in the foam to the roof first and then the vinyl or glue foam to vinyl and then roof?
the foam is already laminated to the vinyl as purchased from tractorinteriors.com in bulk and it's cheap! The vinyl has a mini basket weave or 'chilewich' pattern to it. I'm sure there's a better name for the style but I don't know it. They have a lot of colors. I made a cardboard template to match the opening, then cut the material about a half inch too large on all sides. Used a couple of those telescoping hood prop rods to hold it where I wanted it in the middle, then in approximately foot wide swaths glued it to roof in the middle and worked toward the doors. I suggest keeping the glue a couple inches away from edges. This allows tucking the edges up into the crevice without any wrinkles or distortions.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

I used sound deadening material for my headliner, then glued the vinyl that I had that matched my seat to that. That didn't exactly work. So, now it's just the dura-mat style material as my headliner. Since this material can be ordered with color, I think the Duramat will come down and this tractor headliner will replace that. Thanks for posting that link!
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

DeeOneHundred
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DeeOneHundred »

headliner looks great...the foam vinyl material is perfect for these cabs. very happy with mine.