1965/67 W200 Powerwagon firetruck

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
Atmobil
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ler
State: Foreign

Re: 1965/67 W200 Powerwagon firetruck

Post by Atmobil »

Here is a small update on this one. I did take the ladderrack off to get it inside the garage:
As you can see by these pictures, there is not a lot of room left above the roof. It sits a full 10" higher than the D100 when I measured at the bottom of the front fenders.

But as I got hold of set of 16" steelwheels from a Chevy van (or possibly a Suburban) with 245/70-16 tires on them. The rims fit perfectly and the backspacing is different so the fill out much better. With some decent size rubber this will look fantastic:
As these tires are smaller, it made it about 10cm (or 4") lower. I will however get it lower still as I want to switch garageplace with the D100 and therefore I need to get it under the big beam in the roof you can see on the upper pictures. I therefore have gotten my hands on a set of well used 215/50-16 tires that will hopefully get it low enough.

I am still a litte unsure what I want to do with this. So I want to ask for you advice here:
*Should I convert it back to a pickup?
*If so, use the D100 as a donor?
*Should I restore it as a firetruck?
*Should I convert it in to a camper?

The one that I myself is leaning towards is converting it back to a pickup. I will need a new hood, a mostly complete cab with doors and windows, a complete bed (utiline or sweptline?) and the best solution is a mostly complete parts truck. A pieplate 65-67 D100 or maybe a D200 with 128" wheelbase is what I'm looking for.
I don't really want to use the D100 as a donor.

Restoring it as a firetruck is something that I don't really have any interest in doing but a lot of people here say that I have to do that. I have no interest in a firetruck as such and it is rusty and will need a full restoration.

The idea that is most recent is to convert it in to a camper/overlander rig. I think it would be cool to have a roof-top-tent instead of the ladder rack and a winch on the front instead of the pump and I could make lots of storagespaces inside for gear and stuff one need. Only problem is that it would be useless here in Norway that type of camping is illigal. One can never take any motorized vehicle off-road unless one has a special permit (i.e. forestry machines or tractors used for farming) or it is on closed area (the military has areas that are used for offroad meets in various places).

If I convert it back in to a pickup and get a D200 partstruck I could possibly use the body from this one on a 2wd chassis and get a cool looking "deliveryvan" type truck out of it. Get 2 trucks out of it would be best. If I get a D100, I can maybe get some spare chassisparts for the green D100.
Buying a parts truck will be expensive, I will most likely have to find on in the US and have it shipped here. The shipping costs for the D100 was about 3000$ and I spent another 3000$ on taxes and fees and shipping here inside Norway.
Even if I can get a complete parts truck for maybe 1000$ I will have to expect to pay another 6000$ just to get it home. So a parts truck will easily cost 7000$ or maybe 8000$.

The last option is to sell it and spend the money on parts for the D100, but what can I get for it?

So what do you guys think?
Gaute Halsaunet

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

You're in a hole.
Quit digging.
Get rid of it for whatever u can get, if anything.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

The good thing is.... is that you've got it running/moving under its own power.

Depending on shipping cost.... What I would do is find a nice pre '69 100/200
Series cab and hood, take it down to the frame, remove all the pump
equipment from the front and make a nice flat bed or stake bed out
of it. It looks as though the fenders, doors and core support are quite
usable as is. You could make yourself up a frame carriage and source
a hydraulic power trim plow set up someday and use it on your property. :2cents :idea

John

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Post by swptln »

Interesting truck, but I'm with Terry........unless you were going to restore it as a Fire Truck, trying to convert it back to a pickup is going to be a lot of time and money. I think I'd try to find some Fire Truck person to fall in love with it :Thumbsup and stick to your D100. JMO
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab