My 1971 D100

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
classiclvr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: lititz
State: PA

My 1971 D100

Post by classiclvr »

Been a member for a while and finally decided to put my Sweppy up!
Had her for over 14 years. She's hauled just about everything from drywall to the yearly mulch for the flower beds.
What a great truck! Has all of Mopar's best. 318-727-Dana 60 with 3.23's. Will post about installing one of the new parts store"replacement" aluminum radiators for a 1972 truck, since the copper brass units for a '70 are so pricey and hard to find.

313.JPG
312.JPG

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: My 1971 D100

Post by Hobcobble »

Beautiful truck! I believe your rear axle is the Chrysler Corporate 8 3/4. :study
The 3.23 was a very popular gear in the 8 3/4 axles.
John

classiclvr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by classiclvr »

Yeah....you are right, thanks! Still a great axle, as long as you remember to grease the axle bearings.I really like these pics.When I bought her over 12 years ago, she only had about 40000 miles on her. Now she's pushing 80000 miles and the northern climate is getting the best of her with all the salt on the roads.

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Opelika
State: AL

Post by DocsTruck »

She's a beauty for sure!!! :Thumbsup
Marty
Keeper Of Old Blue
1968 D100 Custom

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

looks great! a good used radiator shouldn't be hard to find. I recored a slant 6 radiator for one of my d300s and it was only 200 or so. I spent a few years in a radiator shop and the brass and copper radiators are much more durable and have a higher capacity to dissipate heat. aluminum will dissipate heat a bit faster but copper can keep cooling in extreme conditions where aluminum gets overwhelmed. saw this a lot on 1 ton dually work trucks . blowing through in Ford diesels mostly at only 2 years old. but many many car radiators need replacement are low miles as well

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Nice truck - I'm not too far south of you. Keep her out of the salt when you can and give it a good power wash underneath after winter. I opt not to drive during salty times...

classiclvr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by classiclvr »

Kaegi wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:20 am
looks great! a good used radiator shouldn't be hard to find. I recored a slant 6 radiator for one of my d300s and it was only 200 or so. I spent a few years in a radiator shop and the brass and copper radiators are much more durable and have a higher capacity to dissipate heat. aluminum will dissipate heat a bit faster but copper can keep cooling in extreme conditions where aluminum gets overwhelmed. saw this a lot on 1 ton dually work trucks . blowing through in Ford diesels mostly at only 2 years old. but many many car radiators need replacement are low miles as well
I waited till Autozone had their 30% weekend for employees and bought a aluminum one. Its was only $150. I kept everything I took off. The tanks are in mint condition, just the core was shot.This is a short term solution anyway.

classiclvr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by classiclvr »

wally426ci wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:05 am
Nice truck - I'm not too far south of you. Keep her out of the salt when you can and give it a good power wash underneath after winter. I opt not to drive during salty times...
She's been a daily driver the past 2 years. I think its a little too late to wash underneath. The floors are already gone, the outer rockers and maybe the inners too. I wanna start on the cab bottom this summer before it gets any worse.I might just start at the front bumper and work my way back for the rust repair.