my new 68 project

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
swampfoxjr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: parma
State: MI

my new 68 project

Post by swampfoxjr »

Hey guys new here, but always been a dodge guy. Just picked up this 68 off craiglist in Montana, it was a shot in the dark being the guy would only send me 5 pictures and was kinda vague just said "its a strait solid truck" so a friend and I jumped in the truck and took a 3300 mile trip and I couldnt be happier, especially for the $900 i paid for it!!
Plans are going to put a 360/727 in for the time being just to get it on the road. Then start collecting parts for a srt8 powplant, fatman ifs and air ride. Still researching the 6.1 swap as far as who makes all the necessary wiring for the engine and trans to work right, any info would be awesome
thanks and ill try to snap some more pictures soon
Josh
Attachments
my helper Cam
my helper Cam
684.jpg
loaded up
loaded up
craigslist picture
craigslist picture
1968 lwb 2wd

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: my new 68 project

Post by Jims68 »

:welcome to the Sweptline forums!! You will find all the help and info here. Just ask and don't worry about asking a silly question or two. We all want to help out! 3300 miles! WOW that is real determination to get a Sweptline! You "may" want to check out my Sweptline Restoration CD... (shameless plug) :lol: Just click the link below... or PM me. Glad to have you here!
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

Nice, sounds like a sweet plan. Before you pull the trigger also look at other IFS plans. There are subtle differences in a few of them depending on what you're looking at doing.
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

swampfoxjr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swampfoxjr »

Ive been looking at some different routes on the IFS i dont care for grafting frames together or having to narrow for a crown vic style, not that it doesnt work just not my preference. What are the cons to the fatman? ive got a 32 ford truck at work not finished but seems like a decent setup. But it will be bagged or air struts would be cool too.
What are some of the other manufacturers i can look into?
thanks
1968 lwb 2wd

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Welcome Josh! :welcome :usa Nice looking '68 D100. :clap
Great looking Labrador Retriever as well! I'm partial to that
breed. :Thumbsup I'd say you did very well for $900 and fuel. :salut
John

swampfoxjr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swampfoxjr »

Thanks John hes 11 months old purebred. the whole trip cost me around 1800, between the truck, fuel, food, oil change on my buddies truck and bearing seals and some lights on another buddies trailer. You just dont see dodges this era in Michigan, nor ones this clean!
1968 lwb 2wd

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Nice truck
nice dog
both will never let you down

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

pismopowerwagon wrote:Nice truck
nice dog
Both might keep you up at night too.... :lol: :lol:

John

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Hobcobble wrote:
pismopowerwagon wrote:Nice truck
nice dog
Both might keep you up at night too.... :lol: :lol:

John
No doubt on that. Between the trucks, Poppy the Beagle and Buddy Bonkers Dog the black lab... I don't sleep much these days. Someone in the area scattered dumped a litter of lab pups about 4 months old, that's where Buddy came from. He won't actually get in a truck but loves to sleep under them.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

swampfoxjr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swampfoxjr »

Snapped some more pictures of the truck the other day. Wondering if steel wheels from that era are all the same? Ive got a 67 chevy I could use a couple wheels from to complete a set on the dodge then find some wide whites for it.
Attachments
pass rear side.jpg
pass interior.jpg
front.jpg
front drivers.jpg
front drivers.jpg (18.49 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
engine bay.jpg
drivers rear side.jpg
drivers interior.jpg
drivers door.jpg
bed.jpg
pass front side.jpg
1968 lwb 2wd

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Your dog looks like he's ready to ride shotgun. :Thumbsup
Chevy wheels are a different bolt pattern, I believe.
John

swampfoxjr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swampfoxjr »

well she finally made it in the shop, got the donor motor and trans setting in it. Ive got a few questions, motor and trans came out of a 84 ram, the 68 was a manual trans.

What motor mounts do i need? Drill holes and make the 84 work with the 68 mounts? or order 68 mounts?

Trans crossmember?? anybody have an original they would sell or am i better of drilling holes for the 84?

The original manual trans member looks like its going to end up hitting the 727? notch the original? or is there a different one i can use?

after i get those situated im planning on flipping the front and rear axles, the rear should be pretty easy, anything to watch for on the front?

also looking for 2 stock wheels to complete the original set to put some wide whites on :)
thanks!
1968 lwb 2wd

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

Post those questions in the correct part of the forum and you will get more answers. Cool truck!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

swampfoxjr wrote:well she finally made it in the shop, got the donor motor and trans setting in it. Ive got a few questions, motor and trans came out of a 84 ram, the 68 was a manual trans.

What motor mounts do i need? Drill holes and make the 84 work with the 68 mounts? or order 68 mounts?

Trans crossmember?? anybody have an original they would sell or am i better of drilling holes for the 84?

The original manual trans member looks like its going to end up hitting the 727? notch the original? or is there a different one i can use?

after i get those situated im planning on flipping the front and rear axles, the rear should be pretty easy, anything to watch for on the front?

also looking for 2 stock wheels to complete the original set to put some wide whites on :)
thanks!
The right side engine mount bracket is different for the 360 so you'd want to use the
one that came with the '84 engine. You can use the left bracket off of the original
'68 LA318. New rubber insulators can be had from any local parts store. You will need
to torch the original bell housing cross member.... leaving the "stubs" intact so you
can add a spanner piece. The following link might help explain some of this.....
http://imageevent.com/jeffc/techstuff3; ... o1.eagle_s
You will need to find a tail shaft cross member for the 727 as well. You'll need to find
a one piece drive shaft for the new set up. :study :2cents :Thumbsup
John

swampfoxjr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swampfoxjr »

Thanks Hobcobble. Im going to make mounts for the original 84 member work its pretty close. ill have motor mounts today hopefully everything slides in. ive got both the original brackets on the 84 with a couple hunks of 2x4 in between. i dont have any of the originals being it came with no motor or trans. after i get the mounts in ill measure the driveshaft, the 84 should work might have to take a couple inches off
1968 lwb 2wd