New bed wood

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

New bed wood

Post by Hardcase »

I put new wood in the bed last week. I didn't think to take a picture before I yanked it out, but you can see one of the nasty ol' boards sitting crossways holding the back of the bed up. It was the best of the bunch - the rest of them came out in pieces.

Beautiful new oak bed, finished with four coats of spar varnish (thanks, dad!):

I bought the wood pre-cut, milled and drilled (for bed mounting holes only) from Mar-K. I also bought the polished stainless rails and bolt kit. I had to drill the side rail holes, which was a piece of cake. I did this the hard way, since I didn't have any help - I didn't remove the bed from the truck. This fall, when I take it all apart again to fix the glaring error that I made (the rails are on backwards), I'll take the bed off. Definitely not going to go through that torture again!

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: New bed wood

Post by pwadventurer »

wow that looks great. Nice job!!

Is your tail pipe store bought or did you have it made?

DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sarnia, ON

Post by DukePW »

Nice! What wheel base is that Ute?
How did the pre drilled bed mount holes line up? Did they counter sink the wood for the washers too or did you do that?

Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Hardcase »

PWA, I had the exhaust done at a local shop. Much more reasonably priced than, say, Midas. $200, custom bent, including muffler and labor.

Duke, it's a SWB '61. The pre-drilled holes were perfect and they countersunk them. Definitely a first-rate job.

DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sarnia, ON

Post by DukePW »

Hardcase,
One more question, I'm mocking up my ute bed. I've been looking at member's photo's and almost figured out how the ute bed goes together (my hard drive died on me and i've lost all disassembly photos).
The 2 bolts that bolt the bed to the frame that are closest the tailgate. Those do not go through any cross member correct? Is there anything between the wood floor and the frame? Rubber insulators maybe? Thanks

Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Hardcase »

DukePW wrote:Hardcase,
One more question, I'm mocking up my ute bed. I've been looking at member's photo's and almost figured out how the ute bed goes together (my hard drive died on me and i've lost all disassembly photos).
The 2 bolts that bolt the bed to the frame that are closest the tailgate. Those do not go through any cross member correct? Is there anything between the wood floor and the frame? Rubber insulators maybe? Thanks
They don't go through a frame crossmember, but there's a steel channel that runs a little bit wider than the space between the two bolts - sort of a floating crossmember, I guess. Then there is a rubber insulator that goes between that piece and the frame.

Worden18
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Altura
State: MN

Post by Worden18 »

Looks great, nice work! :Thumbsup
Have fun today, you might not be here tomorrow

3deez
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: St. Johnsville
State: NY

Post by 3deez »

Hardcase, posting some underside pictures from front to back would really help us "Ute" owners. My bed was a basket case with 2x4 and 2x6 PT lumber, warped and weathered. The factory mounting blocks were non-existant. Don.

Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Hardcase »

3deez wrote:Hardcase, posting some underside pictures from front to back would really help us "Ute" owners. My bed was a basket case with 2x4 and 2x6 PT lumber, warped and weathered. The factory mounting blocks were non-existant. Don.
I can do that. I plan on crawling under there on Sunday to see if anything has come loose, so I'll drag the camera with me.

Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Hardcase »

Hardcase wrote:
3deez wrote:Hardcase, posting some underside pictures from front to back would really help us "Ute" owners. My bed was a basket case with 2x4 and 2x6 PT lumber, warped and weathered. The factory mounting blocks were non-existant. Don.
I can do that. I plan on crawling under there on Sunday to see if anything has come loose, so I'll drag the camera with me.
Shoot. Ran out of day and didn't get time to get pictures. It's on my list, though.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

I'll try and pop a couple pics of my bed mounts. The truck is an early 1949, but, uses the exact same mounts and sills as beds through 1985. No floor in the way in mine... :lol:
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

3deez
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 3deez »

Hey guys. Still looking for those underside pictures of the "Ute" bed mounting. Thanks. Don.

3deez
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 3deez »

Hey Hardcase. I see you posted pictures of your new wheels and tires on another thread. How about the pictures of under the "Ute" bed?

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

3deez wrote:Hey Hardcase. I see you posted pictures of your new wheels and tires on another thread. How about the pictures of under the "Ute" bed?
Attachments
002-7.jpg
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

3deez
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 3deez »

That picture is ok but I'm looking for a close-up of the bed mounted to the frame, front and back, especially the back (refer to my first reply}. Thanks. Don.