My 1961 Dodge D200 Utiline

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
tablebeast
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Candler
State: NC

My 1961 Dodge D200 Utiline

Post by tablebeast »

I bought this sight unseen to be a parts truck. When it arrived and I drove it around a little bit I decided instead to keep it whole. And now I found the parts to make my other truck straight elsewhere, so it all works out for the best. Anyway, its a 1961 D200 Utiline. Its a longbed technically, but its only 124" wheelbase which fits this fatboy just right. Its got a non original early 70's LA 318, NP420 4 speed manual w/ granny, Spicer/Dana 60 Powr-Lok with 4.10 gears. It also has manual steering and manual all-drum brakes. The brakes barely work now, so I plan to redo/upgrade them on a budget. It also needs floorboards badly, but I just scored a huge piece of steel diamond plate from the scrap yard so that will be fixed soon enough. Lastly it needs a permanent gas tank solution. The original one is rusty and right now it is using a cheap plastic tank in the bed. I'm not really sure what to do there, I'm open to suggestions. I'd prefer to NOT have a gas tank in the cab. Anyway, enough details for now, here are the pics:

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Re: My 1961 Dodge D200 Utiline

Post by Txas2step »

Saw this on facebook. Good save. :Thumbsup BTW, it's a 122" wheel base. Long beds went from 122"to 128" at mid '65. FYI.
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

tablebeast
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tablebeast »

Even better at 122". Thats no longbed! I think the proportions actually look better on this one than the 116". This one I'm going to fix up and keep as a work truck. I'll probably just get the floors and mechanics straight and leave the body alone. If I do anything it will be to paint it satin black with red and white pinstripes and do the wheels up in red with black and red pinstripes. I'd like to use it to tow a trailer to get fresh meat with. Oh yeah, some more pics:

Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by Hardcase »

Holy cow, look at that grill! It's a farm truck and the grill isn't mangled!

tablebeast
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tablebeast »

I am pretty happy with it. The only issue it has is a lack of a title. I have two paths I can take to resolving this issue AND get it on the road. Right now it runs OK and has really weak brakes. Looking at the brake system it needs a complete overhaul anyway. So I will do one of two things and hopefully you guys can help me figure out which one is best.

1. Parts bomb the brakes and just replace everything: lines, shoes, cylinders, hardware, and get drums turned. Switch to a dual reservoir at the very least and possibly upgrade to a power booster. Then I will have to get a title bond and hope that works out. I will also have to repair the floors and get new wheels, tires, shocks, and front end/steering stuff.

2. Remove the cab, bed and engine from the rest. I have a 1992 Dodge Dakota Longbed with a good floor, automatic overdrive transmission, and 8 1/4" rear. Replace with 5 lug brake parts. Use the Dakota floor, firewall, pedals, steering, heat, etc and clamshell it together with the rest of the original cab. Mate the points la318 to the Dakota trans and upgrade to electronic ignition. I also have a title for the Dakota already so I don't HAVE to mess with a title bond, though I could still bond it if I want it to officially be a 61 instead of a 92.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Nice '61! :clap :Thumbsup . I have one myself and have been enjoying it for many years.
My suggestion would be to refurbish the brakes and put it on the road. :idea :2cents
John

tablebeast
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tablebeast »

I am going to keep it together and just upgrade the brakes. Discs up front, all new parts for the stock drums on the rear and a power booster with disc/drum reservoir. I also want to swap out the 318 and manual for a 383/727 auto that I have sitting around, waiting for a home. I plan to tow with this old girl, so she needs to be able to STOP!