Latest acquisition - 1968 D700

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
Worden18
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Altura
State: MN

Latest acquisition - 1968 D700

Post by Worden18 »

Hi guys, I'm new to these forums but not to these old Dodges. I've had about 7 or 8 pre-71 Dodges over the last 20 years (Power Wagons and 2 wheel drive trucks, and one flat fender PW). I wish I would've kept them all. Anyway, about 5 years ago I sold a '66 D700 after doing a ton of work to it, and, of course, regretted it later. Fast forward 5 years, I found an even better one.

This truck was on CL in a sealed bid auction from the Ramona Fire Dept. in South Dakota. I put in a bid, and won. It had 11,410 miles on it before I drove it 330 miles home to southeastern MN. Never had one problem on the trip. It has power steering, and a 2 speed rear axle. The engine is a 413 (my other D700 had a 361-4). There isn't one rust hole in the cab. I plan on removing the fire body (and I'll save as much of the cool stuff from it as I can...like lights, chrome grab handles, etc.), and I hope to put a nice flatbed on it. I figured then I could haul anything I want and still drive it in parades if I felt like it. Took me all morning to jockey things around so I could fit it into my garage! :lol: Hope you guys like it; I especially love the big Dodges. Some pics:

Have fun today, you might not be here tomorrow

Worden18
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Latest acquisition - 1968 D700

Post by Worden18 »

My kids love it; they've never seen such a beast! Some more pics:

Worden18
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Worden18 »

The truck was originally purchased by the Rock Falls, IA Fire Dept. About 8 or 9 years ago they sold it to the Ramona, SD FD. They took it out of service earlier this year. There was a bunch of paperwork in the glove box, including fire body manuals from LuVerne (the manufacturer), operator's instruction manual, warranty booklet, and an original envelope addressed to the Rock Falls FD from the Chrysler Corp (not sure what was in it).

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Nice find. Those old fire trucks are usually kept in like new condition.

I traveled a lot on Highway 61 in Southern Minnesota back in the day, but wasn't familiar with Altura.

Worden18
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Worden18 »

soopernaut wrote:Nice find. Those old fire trucks are usually kept in like new condition.

I traveled a lot on Highway 61 in Southern Minnesota back in the day, but wasn't familiar with Altura.
Altura is about 15 miles west (of Hwy 61) up Hwy 248, not too far out of Winona. Not many people travel thru here, pop. is less than 500; if you blink you'd miss it :lol:

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

That's a nice rig! Man, I've always wanted a functional fire truck. With my acreage, this would be a practical-size unit for me, if it were mine!
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

Worden18
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Worden18 »

66patrick wrote:That's a nice rig! Man, I've always wanted a functional fire truck. With my acreage, this would be a practical-size unit for me, if it were mine!
It is functional at the moment, but the seals are bad in the pump, so water comes out even when you don't want it to. I've already dived into taking the fire body off. Lotsa work to make that happen. It would be cool to have a use for it like you said you would.

The last D700 I had was retired from a Fire Dept. and then sold to Jerome Foods, a turkey processing plant; they used it on one of their farms to cool down hot barns in the summer heat, and to keep dust down. They had it for over 20 years before I got it. They didn't take care of it at all. I can't even say I saved it from the junkyard, as I found out from the supervisor at Jerome Foods that the junkyard offered them $200 for it, and they wanted $250....neither party would budge. Then I came along and gladly gave them $250 for it. The guy I sold it to finished it and made a decent car hauler out of it.

bamm67d100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Scotts Valley
State: CA

Post by bamm67d100 »

Cool truck

longbed67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: woodlands
State: TX

Post by longbed67 »

:Thumbsup nice one looks like a 500 gpm pump have fun with it

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Welcome to the site. :welcome :usa Great truck! Congrats on the purchase
AND for having a garage big enough to keep it in. :Thumbsup :clap :lol:
John

BruceP
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Asotin
State: WA

Post by BruceP »

Man that's a sweet truck, I would love to find a good husky D700-D800 to replace my C-70 Chebby.

Enjoy!

Bruce P
"The next test will verify your ability to stay afloat at high speeds"

dustersydh
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Yankton
State: SD

Post by dustersydh »

Love the truck! I lived in the Brookings SD area for about 20 years, not far from Ramona SD. I never even new the truck was there! Wish I had! It's good to see these trucks being utilized yet. I have looked at this sight for years, but did not join til recently, and this is my first post. Good luck with the truck. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Perkins64
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Boerne

Post by Perkins64 »

very nice!

longbed67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: woodlands

Post by longbed67 »

nice one :Thumbsup

Worden18
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Worden18 »

Thanks for the comments guys; its nice to know there are fellow Dodge guys out there that give a damn about these trucks. :lol:

When it starts to warm up around here I'll get back out in the garage and pick up where I left off. I'll probably start a build thread then. I certainly have my work cut out for me. But seeing everyone else's trucks getting fixed up in various ways gives me inspiration for sure.