Another cummins crew

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
Raisinhell
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Jax
State: FL

Another cummins crew

Post by Raisinhell »

I plan on making a build thread when I finally start working on it, but here is my 65 crew cab that will be getting a Cummins and 5 speed swap. It's also getting a dana 60 front, dana 70 or 80 rear and NP205 divorced case. I have all the parts finally, I just have to find the time to start building it. I want to thank this site for posting the link to the craigslist ad where I found my 65. It is from Nevada, so it's almost completely rust free, but the guy I got it from brought it to Indiana before I got it. I bought it last August, but just now getting around to showing it off! I also have a 98 12v cummins truck that's donating its engine and trans, and probably rear end.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff17 ... 7c80e9.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff17 ... 791a70.jpg
Last edited by Raisinhell on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Raisinhell
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Another cummins crew

Post by Raisinhell »

If someone knows how to resize these two pictures and post them directly on here that would be awesome. I can't get my computer to do it.

gyman98
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Saskatchewan
State: Foreign

Post by gyman98 »

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

That's a good looking crewcab, keep us posted.
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

carterkid63crew
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Westminster
State: MA

Post by carterkid63crew »

Congrats on a nice find! I found my w-200 crew cab locally here in massachusetts but it was strait of a car hauler full of pre 1970 classics that were brought from oregon. We have a problem with rust here in the northeast so buying it in the shape it was was a no brainer. My project came together similar to yours, buy truck, drive for a while, aquire parts, start cutting. I dont have a build thread yet but i have tons of photos of my cummins swap and i was going to touch upon some other issues i ran into that may not be addressed in other 12 valve swaps just to shed a different light onto the whole process. Im running a 1st gen dodge intercooler (the rectangular opening in my 63 core support is almost precisely the same dimensions as the cooling fins of my intercooler, coincidentle? maybe lol) a 4000cfm puller fan assembly and a first gen radiator so things got a little tight in the engine bay (i cut my firewall). All and all it boils down to ALOT of measureing a bunch of forethought. I see you mentioned running a divorced np205, i went virtually the same route though im useing a 2wd Zf6 not an NV4500. I was a little hesitant to run this setup but with close to 146 inches of wheelbase to work with theres plenty of room down there. Congrats again of the new crew and welcome to the site, it becomes apperent quickly that there are some wise helpfull individuals here that want nothing more then to see these old gems cruisin down the road.

Raisinhell
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Raisinhell »

I've done some pre-measuring and can see I'm gonna have to cut the firewall. I plan on using the 98 radiator and intercooler, unless they are just too big to fit in there without cutting away too much. I plan on changing the main shaft and tail housing of the trans to the GM style that came in their medium duty trucks, it's a shorter tail housing than the dodge and uses a fixed yoke. It will give me probably 6 more inches to play with when I mount the transfercase, but like you said their is plenty of room under there, so it probably doesn't matter. In the end, I want the truck to look like it came from the factory with a cummins in it.

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

The '98 radiator and intercooler will fit with some core support trimming LOL. My firewall is still stock- no fan, though.
new core paint.jpg
crewmotorpsmall.JPG
motorrad clearance.jpg
'66 Cummins W250 5 spd crew cab long bed
'67 W200 Cummins, never-ending project
'74 Ramcharger Cummins 5 speed
'02 24v quad cab 6 speed dually 4x4

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Phoenix

Post by Jake66 »

[quote="powerwagoncrazy"]The '98 radiator and intercooler will fit with some core support trimming LOL. My firewall is still stock- no fan, though.

lookds like youd have to pull the intercoller out in order to do any front engine work lol. not a bad thing though. did you have to modify the motor mounts in the truck at all?
1966 Dodge D100 Custom SC SWB
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

I did all the front engine work before the motor went in LOL. And my truck is on a '90 cummins W250 chassis that I stretched so the mounts were already in place. On my '67 W200 (has a '90 cummins in it) I used the original frame, and set the engine crossmember from a '92 Cummins W250 across my original mount ears and welded it into place. The mount-to-firewall distance is perfect, and it gives a little more strength to the frame.
crossmember.jpg
'66 Cummins W250 5 spd crew cab long bed
'67 W200 Cummins, never-ending project
'74 Ramcharger Cummins 5 speed
'02 24v quad cab 6 speed dually 4x4

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Phoenix

Post by Jake66 »

powerwagoncrazy wrote:I did all the front engine work before the motor went in LOL. And my truck is on a '90 cummins W250 chassis that I stretched so the mounts were already in place. On my '67 W200 (has a '90 cummins in it) I used the original frame, and set the engine crossmember from a '92 Cummins W250 across my original mount ears and welded it into place. The mount-to-firewall distance is perfect, and it gives a little more strength to the frame.
crossmember.jpg

Good information! Mines not a W series, I want to build my D100 into a twin turbo cummins drag truck so ill be doing some pretty substantial frame reinforcement .

:Thumbsup
1966 Dodge D100 Custom SC SWB
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White