just goofing

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
oklamopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Midwest City OK
State: OK

just goofing

Post by oklamopar »

Well for a bit of back story. I work at a a salvage yard that does alot of Chrysler products.
We had an 06 300 come in, it was hit hard in the left front, but 3 of the aftermarket wheels were still ok.
I had, at another time taken one of my factory swepty 15" wheels to work, and I put it on the rear of a magnum, just for curiosity's sake. and it fit.
so i brought home 2 of the good wheels.
No Its way to much chrome. But they fit.
Just for giggles...and its on Justins 70 not my 69

Spdcrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: homer
State: AK

Re: just goofing

Post by Spdcrazy »

Not exactly my style, but it kinda works!

oklamopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by oklamopar »

Yeah. That's what we think too. To much chrome. Just did it to verify bolt pattern and offset

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

If you were to run 115mm bolt pattern wheels on a Sweptline you would probably want to get hubcentric rings or this could happen. It was on a GM car so they were using 4.5 inch bolt pattern wheels on a 115mm bolt circle.

ASA's ended up being the wrong bolt pattern. When I bought 'em Sept 08 they were listed as 5x115. I never gave it a second thought when I installed 'em. Then I started to break wheel studs. One here and there and I thought it was an overzealous tech from the previous owner stretching 'em and I'm breaking them.

Then the replacement studs started to break, then I inspected the wheels to find out they were 5x114.3.

It wasn't pretty

four broke

oklamopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by oklamopar »

with the aftermarket wheels we tried, the center hole was a snug fit both front and rear. no place for the hubcentric. but i too have ran into the same issue

NationPerformance
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: houston
State: TX

Post by NationPerformance »

Maybe a little black powdercoating and those wheels would look absolutely beautiful.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central

Post by 66patrick »

You see a lot of the later wheels on earlier vehicles, and nearly all end up with the same results. 115mm is NOT the same as 4-1/2"! It's 114.3mm. It causes a great deal of stress on the lug bolts, with the results you see before you. People either don't realize this problem, or figure "ahh, it isn't going to happen to me!"...and tire/wheel stores surely do not help this, either.

NationPerformance
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

66patrick wrote:You see a lot of the later wheels on earlier vehicles, and nearly all end up with the same results. 115mm is NOT the same as 4-1/2"! It's 114.3mm. It causes a great deal of stress on the lug bolts, with the results you see before you. People either don't realize this problem, or figure "ahh, it isn't going to happen to me!"...and tire/wheel stores surely do not help this, either.

Is there a way to compensate for the difference? I would like to put those style wheels on my fifth avenue.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

NationPerformance wrote: Is there a way to compensate for the difference? I would like to put those style wheels on my fifth avenue.
In short..... no.
John

NationPerformance
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

:banghead