Got bucket seat in the Swept!

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
tragic59
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Got bucket seat in the Swept!

Post by tragic59 »

My first time EVER trying to post a photo, so forgive me if I mess it up.

If it does work, you'll see that the subject line is obviously a joke. I took the seat out in order to clean up, rust proof and paint the floors, and had to use this uncomfortable "seat" while I was in progress. Probably put about 150 miles on the truck sitting on this bucket. Certainly not the most intelligent thing I've ever done, much less the most comfortable. In reality, it wasn't too bad to sit on, but after about 50 miles or so, you're ready to be back on a proper seat. Not to mention all the sliding around I did taking turns and hitting the brakes...

Anyways, for those that are interested, I cleaned off the floor, then used a wire brush type attachment on my drill to scrape off all the loose paint and rust scale. I had intended to use POR 15 on the rust, but the local ag/industrial place carried a product called "Black Magic", so I used that instead. Anyways, the Black Magic dried a really nice gloss black everywhere that it was over bare metal or rust, but over the paint it dried semi-clear. So it was ugly with patches of "Cal Trans" orange(you Cali guys know what I'm talking about) intermixed with the black. Obviously that wasn't gonna cut it as a reward for all my efforts, so I started looking for a top coat that would look decent and stand up to the abuse of being used as a truck floor.

The Black Magic recommended oil based enamel as a top coat, so I went back to the ag/industrial place where I bought it and pulled a gallon of gloss black enamel off the shelf. I asked the counter guy how the enamel would hold up under everyday wear and tear involved with being on the floor boards of a beater pick-up and he said he'd call the tech rep for the manufacturer. Thank God he did! The enamel would have held up fine, BUT the tech rep said I could also top coate with Polyeurethane. Great news for me. I wanted to use that roll/brush on pickup bedliner on the floor boards ever since I got the idea to get them cleaned up, but after reading that the rust converter was compatible with oil based enamels, I scrapped the idea.

Anyways, (after that long @#% story) here's my floor, bucket seat and all. Newly cleaned, rust proofed and coated with some super tough, textured bed liner. I just hope I never need to pull the tranny tunnel cover off...

The bedliner is called "Herculiner", and it went on really easy. I just scuffed and cleaned the surface of the rust converter, then DABBED the Herculiner on with a brush. I certainly could have gotten the texturing more evenly spaced, but I'm a dip-*#%^ and did it at night, in my driveway, with a flash light for lighting... But trust me guys, in the dark it looks awesome!

tragic59
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tragic59 »

Looks like the pics actually worked!

I forgot to add that another benefit of this bedliner is that the texture almost completely obscures any pitting in the metal from rust. So it makes the floor look better than normal paint would have.

And that doesn't even take into account the toughness.

I'll keep you guys posted as to how it all holds up.

A1hunerd
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

TRUE STORY!

Post by A1hunerd »

This might explain why this kid that came to work for us (here in Chicago) hit 3 toll booths in a month (he was from California too)! We let him use the company car until his Probe was fixed but that never happened, he rear ended somebody in that and got fired before he could explain! All kidding aside, you got a decent result but you're crazy!

tragic59
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tragic59 »

I'll be putting the seat back in it this evening, hopefully. But definitely not driving it sitting on the bucket anymore...