HOT HEADS

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
pfury369
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: rochester
State: NY

HOT HEADS

Post by pfury369 »

HERE IS A REAL HOT HEAD OFF MY 68 383 AND WHAT IT LOOK LIKE AFTER I POUNDED IT TO THE WEST COAST AND BACK TOWING MY CAR HAULER.PIC 3. I WAS RUNNING ON MAYBE 5 CYLINDERS WHEN I PULLED IN THE DRIVEWAY. MY 74 440 MOTOR HOME MOTOR IS BACK FROME THE MACHINE SHOP AND I HAVE ANOTHER SET OF HOT HEADS. THE STOCK HEADS HAVE UNLEADED SEATS AND CAME OUT NICE.PIC 2. THE HEAD THAT I HAVE CHOOSEN IS FROM INDY/AERO HEADS AND IS A 516 CAST HEAD THAT HAS UNLEADED SEATS,A 2.14 IN. INTAKE VALVE AND A 1.81 IN.EXHAUST , TRICK KEEPERS AND SPRINGS.PIC 1. THESE HAVE LARGER VALVES THAN ANY STOCK BB HEAD. THEY WILL BUMP MY COMPRESSION UP ALONG WITH THE .030 OVERBORE . THEY WERE $757 A SET. THEY STOCK 74 HEADS WILL GO BACK ON THE 383 WHEN I GO THRU IT.
Attachments
HPIM1062.JPG
HPIM1061.JPG
HPIM1058.JPG

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Re: HOT HEADS

Post by wally426ci »

Did that 68 sell? i can't remember.

pfury369
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pfury369 »

wally, witch 68, the w-200 crew that i am saving for you ? none beeing advertized currently.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

:lol: The red/orange one that drove across and back. I'll need to pay you storage fee's for these trucks by the time i have room!! :joker

moporridge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Baytown,Tx.

Post by moporridge »

Those 516's flow pretty good with bigger valves....not as bad as some people think.....I've seen a set run in the high 10's with only mild porting and bigger 67 exhaust valve. They can't be all that bad......I've seen flow numbers that are better than a 906 and I've seen test with worse flow numbers than a 906....Confusing but if they can run 10's in Duster with a 400...they are good enough for me.....I'm building a set with the bigger exhaust valves . Going on a low mileage 78 440 that I have. I plan to mill them .020 and run a steel gasket to wake up that smogger a little ........1 3/4 Hooker headers, 284 cam,street dominator intake, 1000 cfm thermoquad.....3.91 gear.....It should still get with the program even though its an outdated combo....probably about an honest 375 h.p.

pfury369
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pfury369 »

i am trying to keep the motor driveable. i went with the stock style lower compression pistons and didn't have to rebalance. the cam is mild, a mellings mtd-2.it will be much better than the stocker. the 68 383 will get a better piston and i will use the stock 74 440 unleaded head.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

moporridge wrote:Those 516's flow pretty good with bigger valves....not as bad as some people think.....I've seen a set run in the high 10's with only mild porting and bigger 67 exhaust valve. They can't be all that bad......I've seen flow numbers that are better than a 906 and I've seen test with worse flow numbers than a 906....Confusing but if they can run 10's in Duster with a 400...they are good enough for me.....I'm building a set with the bigger exhaust valves . Going on a low mileage 78 440 that I have. I plan to mill them .020 and run a steel gasket to wake up that smogger a little ........1 3/4 Hooker headers, 284 cam,street dominator intake, 1000 cfm thermoquad.....3.91 gear.....It should still get with the program even though its an outdated combo....probably about an honest 375 h.p.
The 284 must be the duration, for its way too low for lift, so it sounds like your running the same cam as I am, or at least close. I've got 3:55's for gears, and I think your 3:91's will work better, even though the cam specs show the power range 1500-6500, when it gets to the 2500 rpm- 6000 rpm, it raps so fast, I added a tach with light, so I wouldn't go past the 6500 rpm redline, traction will become an issue when you beside bowtie's and the "blue ovals" unless you have the discipline to hold back on the throttle until your moving so you don't wheel hop, I can sometimes do that, but even with goood traction I still cannot floor it from a dead stop, but still when you hit 2nd gear if you've done any tranny work, it may break the tires loose again, hopefully you have alot of time to get out and runnin it alot so you get a good feeling of just what kind of "torque monster" you've created. :dance :clap