Preparation for some nightwork =)

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
Dodge-Sweden

Preparation for some nightwork =)

Post by Dodge-Sweden »

Here is a picture how i use to prepare when i work with metal shapes.

I use Plexi glass instead for stiff paper for this kind of shapes, some times i use old plastic icecream cans (eaysier to cut). I allso use marking tape to
mark the corner centrums so (for double check later)

How do you work?

Last edited by Dodge-Sweden on Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

It looks like your working on the cowl of the truck above the firewall in the first picture? I like the plexy idea. I would suggest that with all that rust on the cowl that you sand blast the entire cab.
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed

Dodge-Sweden

Post by Dodge-Sweden »

When im done i dont need sandblasting (if i still got the the inspiration after a week or so) :lol:

But sandblastig should be good, bad thing is that i
have some really big trouble to get the truck out from
the garage so i can get off the cab (inside
garage i have about 6-7" clearens to the roof), need
to get the whole garage door down and some more if i
want it out.

OK now the result of fabrication (not really satishfied with this one but...)

Last edited by Dodge-Sweden on Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Post by Cageman »

I just cut up an old hood, it was the perfect contour, The part right in front of the cowl is what I used, :2cents

Dodge-Sweden

Post by Dodge-Sweden »

I would do that too if i had one :pale , allmost no doges for sale over here (one), cant find any old body parts :pale
So i just try to do the parts by my self.

Dodge-Sweden

Front pieces ....

Post by Dodge-Sweden »

Here is some result from this nights work.
Some minior "bending" and cutting left to do, the parts is for the cutout in the front.

Next parts ill try to do is the area around the cabmoutnig bolt holes in the cab and the area around
the froor is not so bad just rust on the surface (hammered with a "weld hammer"(?)).
Ill try to make a presstool so i can press the "cups" .
OK it looks nicer ... no one can see them ... AAAahgg ... ill do them anyway (mabye i got over inspiration or some brain damage)

This on friday or saturday ill start up my grinder and MIG, whole next week too i hope (depedig on the
weather, have wery poor heating my garage ... none :pale )

Last edited by Dodge-Sweden on Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dodge-Sweden

Post by Dodge-Sweden »

Some more fabrication.
I made a "presstool" to our hydralic hand driven press at work. took about 7 ton to do this shape.
I didnt really think that it should work to do it but it did. The steel is 2mm thick.

They are not really as orginal but it´s ok for me.

The though (as in thinking) is that ill use them to my cab mountings (if the press deep is ok).

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

Very nice metal forming, you do fine work. We are fortunate in the USA that there are an abundance of good parts.

Don

MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MOPAT »

:Thumbsup That is some PRIMO work!! I just lack that degree of patience. Keep up the good work!!

I would think that there might be our vintage trucks available from old US military bases in Europe.

Pat

Dodge-Sweden

Post by Dodge-Sweden »

Thank´s! for the responses :lol:

Time it took to do all the metal pieces was not so long, mabye total time of 2 hours with the fabrication of the presstool.
Good tools make half of the job.

Now it feels much easyer/funnyer to start working when i have some steel done.

I think that if i did all this in my garage it mabye took me 5 hours to do them at least.
(plus a bunch off words that no children newer should hear). :lol:

Hmm Military bases in Europe, need to check it out :Thumbsup