Diplomat frame in what? yeah right.

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Diplomat frame in what? yeah right.

Post by Cageman »

Well, I finished up the frame stub into my 70 shortbox I bought a couple weeks ago. I used an 85 diplomat stub in the front, sure turned out nice, and is a dream to drive, to bad I couldnt hear anything, as it has no exhaust or floorpans in it yet, but I didnt mind, drove it about 8 miles total on the interstate. Kinda freaky watching the road go by like on a motorcycle, but it was a pickup. This is a shot of it after the front axle was un bolted, dummyed up a wheel in there trying to figure out about where the ride height might be.

I used the 318 and 904 trans, I wanted to go with the 4 spped the truck was setup for, but I changed my mind, I figured what the heck. I prefer manual trannys, but it was hooked up to the motor already, so in it went.
The hardest part was figuring out where the frame was going to be cut at. That took me two days of measuring and dummying up frame rails and getting it all fit, then trans fer to cardboard to trace it onto the frame rails of the 70. I was happy right aay with it, and went to town with a sawzall, no looking back now.

After I got it up in there and squared it, I was happy with it and tacked it in. It fit so nice all the way down each frame rail, I couldnt even slip a piece of paper through anywhere, all my plotting and measuring paid off.

after I had it all welded in I had to get a tranny crossmember for an auto, I bolted that in after I found one in my pile of parts, that took a while to find. I made an auto shifter next that used the four speed handle as a shifter, that looks so good in there, I bet I will fool almost every body with that. The diplomat driveshaft was the perfect length so I bolted that in. That was nice. I bolted the tranny tunnel back in and I had to find a gas pedal next. As it turns out, he robbed the pedal out of this truck and put it into the red 4 wheel drive I bought from him. So I had to look for a solid linkage pedal and I found one of those at the local junkyard. Got those swapped out and I then tackled the wiring of the 318 to the 70. It was a lean burn ignition motor, I got rid of all that and just wired in an HEI module and it fired right off for the first time. Apparantly that is why the car was taken to the junkyard, the lean burn was not working. I was kind of worried it might not run, but it runs real good. Next was a gas tank, bolted that in and ran some new hose for a fuel line, the steel one was awol, so I just ran rubber all the way to the front, new filter also. It sure is nice using up all these parts I have been holding onto all these years. I bolted the rad in out of the diplomat, but it was to close to the fan so I cut the brackets off the sides of the rad and just threw it in and put the hoses on and connected the tranny cooler lines. I made new brackets for the rad to bolt to the rad support, I just have to wled it to the rad. I have it bungee corded in right now, just a tempoary deal. I ran out of argon tonight or else it would have been in. I hooked up the brake lines in the front and decided I would try to see if the power booster would work out of the diploamt, if bolted right in, but I had to lengthen the brake pedal rod 2 3/4 inches, then it bolted in, but all I had to do was bend the firewall lip above the master cylinder a little bit and it cleared, I also had to knock out the 4 bolt holes that the booster needed, that was weird, it fit perfect, to think afte rall these years, soemthing like that had the same bolt spacing. Same thing with the driveshaft, that was perfect, and the frame rails mimicked the diplomat frame almost perfect too, I couldnt believe that.
Next was the alternator, the diplomat had ac and a smog pump, I did away with that and got pulleys off of a 75 dodge pickup and an alt bracket too, new belts and that was done, the wire harness went right to it nice, and I plugged in the voltage reg. started it up and 13.8 volts, not to bad, Im getting luckieras I go along.
The steering was the last thing to do, I had to order the ujoints for the steering to line up, I used a 3/4 by 3/4 and a 5/8 36 by 3/4 u joint. I measured the steering shaft on the box and came up with 5/8, I was confident I ordered the right one. It showed up today and I went over and tried to put it on, it wouldnt go. So I cut the orig couple in half, then welded the u joint to it, It was that or send it back to speedway and try to figure out what the deal was, or just use the stock coupler. It turned out pretty dang nice. My argon must of ran out right after that, as I needed to weld a nut to some tubing and it was all porosity, so I got lucky there. Here is the shaft I made.

After I got all that in, I cleaned all the tools off and decided I would take it for a spin around the shop. I did that and I heard a growling noise. I thought maybe it was coming from the rear end so I jacked tha back up and put it into gear, no noise, I figured I would let it run a while to get the gear lube warmed up, and I checked a couple other things while it was running.

Earlier today I stoppped and lined up the exhaust work to be done. Monday he thinks he can get to it. The car had three cats on it, so I pretty much will trade him those for the exhaust. That is nice.
I took it out on the highway and drove it, sure drives nice with that front end. I need to get some 1 1/2 wheel spacers for the front of the truck, it is too narrow looking, I havent ordered them yet, but I will. That is the only down side of the diplomat swap, but oh well, it was fun, and the spacers will get it back to normal again. I know some people dont like spacers, but I dont mind them. duallys have them from the factory, and you never hear anyone complain about that. And they are like 6", 1 1/2" is a spit in the bucket to that.
Hope you enjoyed my story of my pats couple weeks, it was a fun project. I was thinking of putting a turbo on it off of a laser I was given, but I dont think I will. After the exhaust is done, Im pulling the cam and getting it reground to a lopier profile, it is a roller cam engine, so you can do that I guess, only 100 dollars too. That will bring my totoal to under 500 dollars, sweet.
Here is how I pulled the k frame out of the diploamt, engine, trans, rad, exhaust and all.

ALindustrial
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Abilene, KS 67410

Re: Diplomat frame in what? yeah right.

Post by ALindustrial »

... that looks REALLY sharp... thanks for the pictures! let me know if you have any tips for this kinda things :D

motomatt383
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Durham, NC
State: NC

Post by motomatt383 »

looks really good, i'm doing the same swap. i've got mine almost to the halfway point. the frame is all marked i just need to cut it as required, test fit & tack it. i can't wait for work to slow down some so i can get back in the shop & get it finished up!!

matt
'70 D-100, Ruffin,plum crazy/wht top,5.2 magnum.
'70 Roadrunner
'40 Dodge coupe
http://community.webshots.com/user/motomatt383
http://www.myspace.com/70runner

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Cageman »

If you want, I can send you my template, or a copy of it, mine fit really good, and I even have reference holes marked so it is easy to line up.
I think Im doing another truck next week or so, not sure, I think I can get it done in maybe two days now that the hard part is figured out.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

Cageman, did you hook up the power steering?
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

:Thumbsup
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

steven
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by steven »

Hey Cage, if need another car for that swap, and are up for a road trip, let me know. We've got a running/driving 83 fifth ave, its just really rotten. It was the car I learned to drive in. :lol: Not very road worthy. :pale

But I'm sure there's no shortage of those cars up there. :lol:
1967 Dodge D200 5.7 HEMI/5speed
1971 Dodge Challenger #'s 383/727
1974 Dodge D600 318 5+2
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins HO

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Cageman »

I get those cars for free all day long, havent paid for one in all my life. Some of them have been so nice, it was a shame to race em. Same with the one I got for my brothers truck, it had electric seats and windows, all the bells and whistles.
And of course I hooked the power steering up, whay wouldnt I. If I could, I wouldnt have even disconnected it, or taken the motoor out, but when working by yourself, a complete motor trans k member steering spindles wheels gets a little hard to move around by your self.
I also bought 1 1/2 wheel spacers, next time Im buying 2 inch I think it will look better. It is the exact same front width as factory now, but the little wheels I have on there look to small for the truck maybe is all the problem is. I still havent lowered the back, but I did pull the 391 sure grip out and put 2.76 geras in there, it cruises down the road so nice. Been working on my 70 w100 that has toyota steering on it. I dropped a 360 into that, it is a good motor, solid cam, decent compression, 4 barrel, should be fun. I had to work on a couple race cars last week for customers, so all my free time was for making money, not toys. I sent Motomatt the template, I hope it works out nice for him.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

I was just wondering because I'm getting ready to put a volare clip in my panel truck and I don't have the power steering pump and all that good stuff. Just checking to see if there was a way around it or if they came with manual steering at all..
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

sweptlinemike
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Arlington
State: TN

Post by sweptlinemike »

can i get a copy of that template for a possible future project?

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Cageman »

Let me see how it works out for Motomatt, he just got his, then maybe Ill have him send one to you, Kind of like a chain letter, LOL
You could always just use a manual box, unless those are hard to find around your parts. I see what you were getting at by asking if the power was hooked up, and that was one of the benefits of doing this, swap, power steering. I wouldnt run it with out power assit, but I have seen guys just loop the lines together on the box and run it that way, but boy is it hard steering. How come you didnt get the pump if you have a frame?

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

slick wrote:I was just wondering because I'm getting ready to put a volare clip in my panel truck and I don't have the power steering pump and all that good stuff. Just checking to see if there was a way around it or if they came with manual steering at all..
You won't find a Chrysler 5th Avenue without power steering but it was available in Aspens and Volares. They use pretty much the same front suspension so a manual box probably would bolt up if you can find one.
1969 Adventurer W100

cudaboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudaboy »

Where do you get 1 1/2 to 2 inch spacers, and do you have to find longer studs ?
M.O.P.A.R. =
My Own Private Adrenaline Rush !

motomatt383
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Durham, NC
State: NC

Post by motomatt383 »

i'm hopin' to get mine cut out this weekend. then tacked in & welded up. i'm talkin' to a buddy of mine to see if he can make a couple templates out of tin. then we could ship them around with out having to worry about them getting damaged easily.

matt
'70 D-100, Ruffin,plum crazy/wht top,5.2 magnum.
'70 Roadrunner
'40 Dodge coupe
http://community.webshots.com/user/motomatt383
http://www.myspace.com/70runner

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Cageman »

I bought my spacer off of ebay, they bolt on to your studs, and have another set of studs for the wheels to bolt on too, really nice pieces too. paid 130 for all four, bought two for my brothers truck right away.
I was going to do the tin route too, but didnt have any laying around that was the right size, so a afco aluminum radiator box did the trick, LOL

SpecialOrder66D100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: N.Wilkesboro,NC

Post by SpecialOrder66D100 »

Im kinda intrested in doing this swap myself. What steering column did ya use? and would somebody loan me a template for '66? :lol:

cudaboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudaboy »

I always thought this swap would be the best bang for the buck, but had my reservations about the narrow track width. If the spacers are safe then that's what I'll probably do. I like the fact that it has an adjustable ride hieght too.
M.O.P.A.R. =

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Cageman »

Here is a couple shots of it before the snow came. I still havent done the floors yet, and I need to get the rear lowered, but it is now sitting in a snow bank. Motivation is low, lazieness is starting to kick in. I hate winter.
I think the exhaust turned out sweet, I just did 3 inch all the way to the rear tires, then cut a 30 degree slice out of the end, kinda like a mototrcycle pipe. Painted the pipe bbq black, looks sweet. Sounds awesome, no mufflers, purrs like a kitten at idle, mellow at cruise and kick @#% at wide open, not that I know what that is like. LOL

Looks like it cut the end off of this one.

Here is the truck Im doing the swap on next, but my little brother would rather play xbox, so it really hasnt happened much. I got the 20's for 200 bucks locally, so they will do for a 17 year old. Tires are to low profile, but what does a guy get for 200 bucks.

cudaboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudaboy »

I hate that your photo got cut short......but tell us about the green brick !!!
M.O.P.A.R. =

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Cageman »

It was originally a four door. It has a 5 speed, 8 3/4 w/3.91 sure grip, 4 wheel discs, tubular uppers, minitub/springs relocated, 273 with 96 magnum heads, auto meter guages, alum rad, 27 gallon stainless fuel tank, line lock and the back tires are always bald for some reason. Just made a chin spoiler for under the bumper,I hope it feels better at 140 now.