Crew Cab Accident...

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Crew Cab Accident...

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

Well, it is 10 pm here, and I am just sitting down in front of the computer. Today was a really, really bad day for me. I was out driving around in my '66 cummins crew cab, and I tried to take a corner too fast, and, well, you know the rest... I overcorrected, went up an embankment, and rolled my pride and joy over. :pale As I write this, I am literally heartsick. I was taken from my truck by ambulance to the hospital ( was supposed to be life-flighted), where my friends and family came to see me. When I asked about the truck, no one knew anything- it had been towed to some impound yard. I was looked over carefully by the doctors, and released this evening with no broken bones, internal bleeding, or even a concussion- just a nasty scrape on my back. From there, I went to find my truck. In a tow yard not too far from the scene, I found my baby, and it damn near killed me. The truck I have been putting everything into and had all the bugs worked out of is a total loss. The only salvageable body parts are the fenders, core support, bumpers, and grill. The rest is trashed- the roof is flat down on everything - it kinked in the middle, destroying both seats, taking out all four doors, and sadly, tweaking up the chrome dash and destroying the white steering wheel. The cab buckled in the middle, and is not at all salvageable. The same can be said for the bed- the entire drivers side is smashed, to the point where it pushed the passenger side out via the tailgate, tearing the tailgate mounts out. The hood is a goner too, even all the power wagon emblems are busted. God was with me, because I still don't know I managed to get away with just the scrape- the truck didn't have seatbelts in it either. I'm just really blessed I guess- I layed down in the seat at just the right time, and the roof caved right next to me. I was able to crawl out by myself, though. The running gear is fine, though, so it looks like I'll be hunting for a decent pre- '67 cab and doors to rebuild my truck. All of the stuff I really worked at is ok and can be salvaged, it's just the body that's a total goner. This is the second severe Sweptline accident I've walked away from- the first a 60mph head-on with a guard rail. As I sit here tonight, I am greatly saddened by the loss of my truck, but so very greatful that He was with me. Amen for him and my faithful old crew, because I know I would be dead without their presences today. I'm including some pics my sis took with her phone- caution- they're gruesome... The road was too narrow to flip the truck over- they pulled it on the wrecker upside down and rolled it back at their yard. As for me, I think it's time I start going to church a little more often, because He's given me the best of the best- My buddy KC was at the hospital 20 minutes after I got there, and my grandma and sister 15 minutes after I got there. THANK YOU GOD!!!!!! I can't say it enough, and I will continue to say it for the rest of my days!
263244721.jpg
263244717.jpg
263244730.jpg
263244724.jpg
263244711.jpg
263244727.jpg
Last edited by powerwagoncrazy on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billy-jay
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by billy-jay »

Thank God your OK...you can find another cab and bed but you cant be replaced...So sorry about the truck and good luck to you and yours. Jim

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

You're fortunate. Its too bad about your truck but
its just steel, glass & rubber. you can re-build it.
As much as you may pray to your god[s].... they can't
bolt seat belts in vehicles.... if your other trucks
don't have them.... I'd be getting that taken care
of.... pronto.

You're in a good area of the USA for good used
Sweptline parts.... I'm sure some decent sheet
metal will pop up sooner or later.
John

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Holy Crap! Good to see you are OK. Like it's been said before, it's only a truck, and it can be replaced!
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Glad to hear your OK, and only got just a "scratch". As they always say... "...could have been worse". Really says a lot about having "steel" around you instead of just old soda cans melted down like in new cars. I also recommend that you get seatbelts first thing you do into your next project. Hopefully you will find another Crew that you can swap out the running gear from your present truck. Good luck!

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

Having pulled and cut more than my share of live people and bodies out of wrecks such as yours I would have to say you are right. :pale The Lord was definitely with you, especially without seat belts.:Thumbsup Ya could probably help Him out a bit by slowing down on the corners, but then you knew that. :shame :lol: Glad YOU are OK. The rest can be replaced. :salut
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Holly Smokes! You are soooo fortunate to come out of that with just a flesh wound!
I had my share of bad crashes in my younger years.It seemed I would test the limmits of my rigs until I found them.Then finally I learned it was a lot easer to pay attention and slow down,then to take the risk of crashing.

Sorry about your truck.Thank God the name Death Star didn't stick. Sledge Hammer does seem to fit a little better!

Good luck on the rebuild,and keep the shiny side up! :Thumbsup

Doug

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

Dude glad you're ok... :salut
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

HellBelly
Founder
Founder
City: Dallas
State: TX

Post by HellBelly »

I'm glad to hear your ok, I don't see how you didn't get crushed.. did you slide over in the seat at the last minute or something?
Scott Blaylock (Founder/Admin)
http://www.Sweptline.ORG
http://www.SweptlineTruckRegistry.com

1965 Dodge SWB D100 (Utiline)
1968 Dodge LWB D100 (Sweptline)
1970 Dodge LWB D100 (Dude)

MOPARHOUND
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kansas City, KS

Post by MOPARHOUND »

Alligator tears.

Thanks be to God you're still here to tell about it.
69 D200 440/4-Speed Light Green
69 D200 383/Auto Desert Turquoise
69 Charger 318/Auto R4 Charger Red - Survivor

Hotfoot
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Hotfoot »

Glad your Okay.

Cut the top off and make it a convertible!
If it Ain't Breaking than you ain't driving it hard enough!

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

:pale Glad you are OK.

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

I'm glad your OK, but I feel that if you were belted in behind the steering
wheel you wouldn't be posting this for us. Sometimes all your planets line up.

Don

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

Thank you all for your kind words and support. I am really grateful to be here right now, and part of me says POWWAG is right about the seatbelt- Though that is NO excuse to not install them in the future. I made some phone calls today and found another cab and doors for a reasonable price, so I'm going to start rebuilding in the next month or so. I've been contemplating other safety components for this truck, and haven't decided what to do just yet. Part of me says I need to build a roll cage for the interior. I say this not because I intend on rolling the truck again, but because this is intended to be a family vehicle in the future, and I want my children safe. This truck fared well for me, especially for having prior cab damage (I was told it was put on its side in its early years)... At any rate, this is a turning point for me to stop thinking like a young idiot and start getting my act together as a responsible adult. Seeing my girlfriend scared and bawling killed me- just the thought of doing that to her again makes me want to live in a padded room for the rest of my life, but obviously that's insane. However, I feel that my experience helped to open the eyes of my friends- I made them sit and watch as the nurses scrubbed my wounds out, so I think they'll ride their motorcycles a little more cautiously...

And as far as my survival technique, I laid down in the front seat and held on for dear life- something I had thought about prior to yesterday... I think that is a key part of surviving crashes- I encourage everyone here to pay attention to vehicles like yours in the wrecking yards, because seeing how and where they crumple can help you to prepare for the worst in your own vehicle.
'66 Cummins W250 5 spd crew cab long bed
'67 W200 Cummins, never-ending project
'74 Ramcharger Cummins 5 speed
'02 24v quad cab 6 speed dually 4x4

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

A cage is a good idea in any 4X4 as the higher CG makes them do funny things.

I just turned 49 and I refuse to stop thinking like a young idiot. The problem with
being my age is all the memories are fading from when I was a young idiot and
now I have to do new crazy stuff for fresh memories.

22 years ago on my first Harley I passed a van doing 55 mph on a two lane highway
I was doing 90. The problem lies in that I forgot to change lanes, a .40 blood alchohol
will do that. I quit drinking and bought a new Harley back then, I still have the bike,
and I still don't drink. We all have to grow up some and just remember to do it in moderation.

Don

wide65
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by wide65 »

HOLY CRAP!!! :pale :pale :pale I am glad you are okay!

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

OH MY!!!!! Thank GOD you made it out of that one. That sucks so bad, you just finished that truck. :pale

Any chance of getting a pic where you landed? Kind of scary knowing the cab could crush that easy. DEFINITELY makes me think twice about a cage.

Good luck to you sir, and glad to hear you're O K!!! :usa
Doug

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

That's too bad about your truck but I'm glad that you got out of it as well as you did. It must have landed hard on the top to fold it down like that.
1969 Adventurer W100

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Opelika
State: AL

Post by DocsTruck »

Thankfully you are ok. Things can be replaced, people can't. I don't see any pictures on here, but it sounds like it was pretty bad.
Marty
Keeper Of Old Blue
1968 D100 Custom

dashshifter
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dashshifter »

Good nite, Rob... looks like you just did it up bigtime. I am happy you survived.
I guess after major surgury the crew will survive too. Beliving in seat belts goes
way up after a half-gainer like that. Do you think a rollbar that mounts in the bed would
have kept the top from coming down? I've never considered a rollbar before. You've
gave us lots to think about. Steve
Steven Reinke
'67 D-100
'68 D-100
What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.
Samuel Clemens