Before and after

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Before and after

Post by Russ »

This is a before and after pic of my truck if it works. I retired at the end of 1999 and spent the first six months of 2000 rebuilding everything and converting it to 4X4. Also built and installed a 440 from a 76 Chrysler. Since then I've added Prototech steering. Next project is power brakes.

If it doesn't show, click this link.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-5/7 ... hennow.jpg
Last edited by Russ on Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
1969 Adventurer W100

HellBelly
Founder
Founder
City: Dallas
State: TX

Post by HellBelly »

Russ,

That's an outstanding looking truck! You really have me considering the change over to 4x4. I love how it sits!!

Great Job!!

BTW, glad you got the pictures working! :Thumbsup

Scott
Scott Blaylock (Founder/Admin)
http://www.Sweptline.ORG
http://www.SweptlineTruckRegistry.com

1965 Dodge SWB D100 (Utiline)
1968 Dodge LWB D100 (Sweptline)
1970 Dodge LWB D100 (Dude)

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

hey russ, the truck looks sweet, how bout some pics for the calendar this year?? i always did like this idea better :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Before

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Hey Russ,
what running gears did ya use?

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Running gear

Post by Russ »

The running gear is from a 70 W100. It's all rebuilt but is all stock 70 stuff. I bought a whole truck for parts and it turned out to be a lucky break. Someone had already put a 440/727 in it. The engine was gone but I got the short tailshaft 727 and the other parts I needed for the conversion. The parts truck came with 355 gears also which is what I wanted.
1969 Adventurer W100

Russell

Re: Running gear

Post by Russell »

Russ wrote:The running gear is from a 70 W100. It's all rebuilt but is all stock 70 stuff. I bought a whole truck for parts and it turned out to be a lucky break. Someone had already put a 440/727 in it. The engine was gone but I got the short tailshaft 727 and the other parts I needed for the conversion. The parts truck came with 355 gears also which is what I wanted.
WOW! What a beautiful truck! I wish mine was looking that good, I have a lot of work to do on mine.

rein

nice looken

Post by rein »

damnice looken truck i got 68d100 iam worken on its two wheel thou but nice find rein :lol:

milestrap
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Prototech steering please.

Post by milestrap »

Can you tell me more about this?

I can't stand the old steering boxes. They seem to last about 1000 miles.

Is this an add-on kit?

Thanks for the info.

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

I would love to know more about that steering setup. I have heard about the Prototech setup, but never seen how it works or hooks up.

Also, do you have sway bars on your truck? I have a 71 D-100 that was also converted to 4 wheel drive, but by a previous owner. I am trying to figurea few things out.

I know there a lot of people here interested in both of those conversions.

Butch Romig
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: garnett ks

Post by Butch Romig »

prototech is a conversian where you use a ford pickup gear,i have one on my pickup,im in garnett ks,no to far from kc,if you want to see it,send me a email,i also have a buddy who made his own setup,you MIGHT be able to talk him into making one for you,if the money is right
butch

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Like Butch said, the Prototech was a bolt in kit using a Ford box. It isn't being made right now due to insurance considerations but I understand that Norm is working on getting it back into production. There's other boxes that you can use if you want to fabricate your own but to me the Prototech kit was the best way. It was practically a bolt in and you could do it in a day. Here's a picture of mine. Note that the engine is out but I installed the setup with the engine in place to be sure that it could be done. You only have to remove the starter, and that's with a 440 engine.

I don't have any sway bars but I have Rancho springs on the front and extra leaves in the rear. It's actually too stiff but it doesn't lean or sway at all.
1969 Adventurer W100

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

Thanks!! I have been hearing them mentioned alot, but never seen one to realize whay was involved. Was the truck originally manual or hydralic steering? I have the hydralic on now, and the turning radius is murder! Does the Protech increase the turning radius compared to the Hydralic?

I am researching springs at the moment, that will be my next big upgrade. Mine are toast! I am looking at the SkyJacker and Ranchos. Doesn't seem like there is much difference, other than SkyJacker has a better website to find part numbers on.

I really like the stance, what kind of left are on those springs? And is the lift all springs?

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

The Prototech setup doesn't change the turning radius. There are stops on my axle that limit that and it will go all the way to the stop in both directions. Another advantage is that it has a faster steering ratio than stock. I originally had manual steering. I don't know how much lift the springs give me. I think it's about two inches higher than a stock W100. Those are 33X12.50/15 tires on ten inch rims and they don't rub at all.
1969 Adventurer W100

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

steering

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

That is HUGE! I guess it is what you need for a 4x4 and I'm sure it is fine, but that is way to large for a regular truck, and just my opinion its a Ford part, I definatly won't go their, but thats just me I gues if you feel that you need something so big its fine but I'm sure their is a Mopar box that will also work. I hear a lot of people that like them, I just have a 2wd and will go with a rack. less room required, doesn't that get in the way of the headers?

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Robin, It's not that big. The pic is a closeup so maybe it gives that impression. It's larger than my original manual box, but the extra size is mostly in the area above the box, between the box and firewall, where the old rag joint was. It doesn't protrude into the engine space much more than original. I don't have headers so I don't know about that. If header clearance is a concern, you're going to have more trouble with a rack and pinion than you would with a Prototech by the time you snake the steering shaft to where it will have to go using multiple universal joints. It doesn't bother me that it's a Ford box.
1969 Adventurer W100

Butch Romig
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: garnett ks

Post by Butch Romig »

i have headers on my 318 D100 its not a problem,but i did have to remove the headers and starter to get the box installed
where to mount a rack is the question,mount it to the axle and you have aproblem with the steering shaft changing length every time the springs flex,or you hit a bump,kinda a bump steer problem there for sure!
BUTCH