Cragars

Post a picture of your ride... Or the nice fish you caught last weekend!!
thehemikid
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: western kentucky
State: KY

Cragars

Post by thehemikid »

Bought some Cragars last November for my 64 swept. Saw them on Marketplace. They weren't my 1st
choice (Rambler), but since they are aged and a little rough they'll match my truck pretty well and look era
correct too. Being pretty cheap didn't hurt either.

One reason I bought these tho is they have the 5 x 5 pattern. Yeah, ...let me explain. When I bought the
truck the fellow said the bolt patterns were changed (front and rear) by a previous owner, and thought the
front spindles were swapped to ch3vy. I thought ...is that possible. I looked at the spindles and couldn't tell.
Figured worse case scenario I'd have some swapping back in the future to do . Looked at the rear and they
were an easy fix with roughly 1-1/4" spacers. Great!

While doing my 1st front brake job figured I'd see whats up with that! Removed the front tire/wheel and they
cut the Chrysler studs off flush on the outside, drilled in between for the che3vy. After pulling the drums saw
they had welded all the way around all studs on the inside. GREAT! (in the negative) If the studs splines were
slipping they could've just put a good bird's eye tack! Maybe they were thinking impact wrench...

So for a while now I just painted the centers of the steel wheels a Chrysler argent to get rid of the pail green
which made the truck being faded red (orangeish) look like "The Great Pumpkin". The argent
was a quick fix.

Well the Cragars will go on the front drums fairly easy with the right mag nut that's .750 diameter shank and
1/2 x 20 internal thread, already have those. The rears had another surprise I hadn't noticed until I got into
measuring the 5 x 5 studs, they're M12 x 1.5. JUST GREAT!! Ordered M12 x 1.5 lug nuts with .740 shank
after a lot of searching. They arrived with the typical .680 shank, not sure how that happened.

Meanwhile back at the ranch,...researched and ordered some new spacers with 1/2 x 20 studs, and ETA of Friday.
Will try'n get a pic up after I get it all done. What a hassle!
Attachments
wheels - Copy.JPG

thehemikid
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Cragars

Post by thehemikid »

New adapters came in today. That fixed that metric stud issue. Hopefully I don't find a hidden
surprise with the mags. Gonna try to swap the tires on tomorrow.
Attachments
wheels 3 - Copy.JPG
wheels 5 - Copy.JPG
wheels 4 - Copy.JPG

thehemikid
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by thehemikid »

Thought it wouldn't be that big a deal to put these Cragars on but ended up being a little bit of a pain finding and altering the lug nuts.

Any way, 1st pic,... truck before purchase.
2nd pic,...quick fix with Argent paint.
3rd pic,...late this evening.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Looking good with the Crager SS's. I always wonder.... why isn't anything "EASY"? :thinking
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

too bad they weren't a set of uni-lugs then they fit anything