OK dudes, need some help.......

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
bad94flstn

OK dudes, need some help.......

Post by bad94flstn »

lost my brake lights, and my headlights only work on hi-beam. i've traced my brake light wiring to no end. have good ground on rear light buckets. my turn signals work, tail lights work. i have continuity on my brake light switch on the pedal when it is engaged. where does these silly a** wires go from the brake switch and where do i start short of unwrapping the wiring harness? ALSO....and i know it is related, when i have my hazard flashers on, the front signals blink, but my rear ones don't. if i'm correct, the hazards on the rear run off the same circuit as the brake lights.

npw for the low beam headlights, is it my dimmer swtich, or maybe my headlight knob on the dash? my low beams progressively got where they didn't work. sometimes they were OK, sometimes not. now they don't work at all. please advise? thx, scott.

bad94flstn

Post by bad94flstn »

btw, i'm fixin to drive this thing 1200 miles to montana on wed, so i would really like to git these probs lined out this week-end before i head out. thx!

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Well several years ago I was driving my 70 RR and my headlights went out. The high beams worked, but not the low. I think I started troubleshooting at the dimmer switch, and sure enough it was out.
I would start there. Check it, replace it, I have a feeling that might be your problem. At least one of them. :idea
Doug

73_Adventurer_Sport
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lindale, Texas

Post by 73_Adventurer_Sport »

It sounds like your dimmer switch, but don't rule out the possibility that a voltage surge didn't blow both the headlights and stoplight elements in the tail light bulbs.

Though I've never seen it with headlights, I once had both stop light elements blow out at the same time and I wasted a lot of time looking for a wiring problem.

JJ
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lawton
State: OK

Post by JJ »

Check the connections on the headlight switch itself then the dimmer. Those will get burned especially if you switched to modern headlights.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, beer in one hand,cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,"what a ride&quot

bad94flstn

Post by bad94flstn »

thx guys, i'll check those things out tomorrow. scott.

bad94flstn

Post by bad94flstn »

i was gonna pull the headlight switch the other day and check it, but i couldn't get the friggin knob off. any tricks to that? i didn't want to force it and break it.

Blue67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

push button

Post by Blue67 »

Scott. Good thing you didn't force it. The knob comes off with the shaft. Pull the knob like turning on the lights, then push the button on the top/side of the switch (behind the dash) and pull the whole shaft/knob out of the switch assembly. Be careful as you turn the nut to release the switch from the dash as the whole switch can fall apart with the shaft out.
Did you get my PM about the front drums?

bad94flstn

Post by bad94flstn »

sure did blue, and thx for the info. we will be going thru missoula on thursday. pm me ur number and i will call you and meet you somewhere off the freeway on our way thru. if it would be better for you for me to go ahead and take it to libby, let me know. if we can hook up just right, it would be no problem for us to pull over as we go thru missoula. would like to see ur truck, and i will be driving mine thru as well. scott.

crazyinalabama
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by crazyinalabama »

I experienced the same problem with the head lights when I drove back from B.C a couple of weeks ago. unfortunatly, I had to return to work, and didn't have time to troubleshoot the problem, but I was wondering what holds that light switch in the dash and now I know! I thank you for that! my next question is if the switch is tango uniform, can a replacement switch be purchased? or do i have to start looking for something else compatible ?

C.I.A. :usa
1968 FARGO D200, "SASQUATCH"
318-1 , NP435 , DANA 60 4.10

73_Adventurer_Sport
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lindale, Texas

Post by 73_Adventurer_Sport »

crazyinalabama wrote: my next question is if the switch is tango uniform, can a replacement switch be purchased? or do i have to start looking for something else compatible ?

C.I.A. :usa
They should have one at NAPA, and if not, rockauto.com will have it.

bad94flstn

Post by bad94flstn »

ok y'all, i got em both fixed. thank you all very much for the help. my low beams was a loose wire on the dimmer switch. blue, thx for the tip about the headlight knob, i've never seen that before but it comes right out after pushing that button u were talking about. as for my brake lights, i decided to delete some wires underneath my steering wheel a while back. turns out the feed from the brake pedal switch feeds up to the turn signal assembly under the steering wheel. after soldering a jumper back in where i cut it out before, i'm back in business! i have no idea why they ran it back up there instead of tying it in under the dash, lol. scott.

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

the brake light wire needs to go to the signal switch
so that it can use the turn signal wire to go to
the signals and the brake is interuped on the
side it needs to be, steady brake on the other,
only way it works since the brake has to run though
the flash on side flashing.

On newer cars the signal is independent of the
brake light on most.
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

bad94flstn

Post by bad94flstn »

i found that out the hard way jeff. lots of continuity and voltage tests and standin on my head under the dash before i figured it out, lol. after i seen how it is set up, it all made since. i just didn't realize it when i was cleanin house under the steering wheel a couple months ago. after i deleted a couple wires, i checked my turn signals and they worked, so i just figured i deleted horn wires (i have a remote switch and siren horn). i never thought to check my brake lights at the time. oh well, alls well now. scott.