WIPERS

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
crazyinalabama
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

WIPERS

Post by crazyinalabama »

1968 D-200, THE WIPER ON THE CO-PILOTS SIDE DIED THE OTHER DAY, HAVENT HAD TIME TO TEAR INTO IT ,AND DONT HAVE ANY MANUALS YET TO READ UP ON IT. SO COULD SOMEONE GIVE ME A BRIEF AND SIMPLE EXPINATION OF WHAT MAKES IT WORK AND WHAT TO CHECK OUT FIRST.
THE WIPER JUST WONT MOVE AND CAN BE MOVED BACK AND FORTH BY HAND.
THANKS

steven
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by steven »

I sounds like the splines where the wiper arm meets the shaft by the cowl. The splines most likely stripped, making the arm not move when the wipers are on, and making it easy to move by hand. :Thumbsup
1967 Dodge D200 5.7 HEMI/5speed
1971 Dodge Challenger #'s 383/727
1974 Dodge D600 318 5+2
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins HO

crazyinalabama
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by crazyinalabama »

THAT SOUNDS LOGICAL, IS THAT ANM EASY PART TO FIND!

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

with a small triangular file and a bit of ingenuity, it can be repaired. pull it apart and regroove the thing. it will usually work once or twice before you have to trash the wiper arm or spline. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

You said co-pilot side so I assume the drivers side is still moving. Could be what Trey said, or the link to that side might have come off of the pivot. Look down through the cowl vent slots with the wipers going and see if the link to the passenger side is moving. It's a simple setup so should be easy to determine the problem.
1969 Adventurer W100

injunjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by injunjoe »

Try dressing it up like trey suggested first, as a last resort clean the splines and the socket with alcohol let them dry and stick it together with any one of the super epoxy repair compounds on the market . Most will release with heat so you can remove it if you need to. I used the kind they put golf club heads on the shafts with on an old plymouth it lasted a long time.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

i have to agree with russ here, the drag link is most likly suspect. if the spline were stripped, it would still try to move, and give resistance when manually moved. they are only held by small pins, it could have broke and come loose. option 2, look for my wiper post in gen chit chat, heading "info worthy of saving or somthing like that. theres a kit you can buy, it comes with a new splined drum and converts to an off the shelf wiper arm and blade. the way i torqued mine on, stripped shaft or not, it wouldnt have slipped. LOL :Thumbsup the shaft is tapered, the new drum is not, so under a bit of torque, it cuts in new grooves all by itself.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100