'84 to '67

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
ramrod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

'84 to '67

Post by ramrod »

hi all,
i am putting a 67 cab on 84 chassis,i want to use '67 gauges (for now).just not sure how to go about it since the '84 gauges are on a circuit board.i think i can cut the '84 wires from thier plugs,and crimp on some connectors,then plug onto '67 gauges,and i can run oil pressure line right to the gauge,,,,biggest concern i have is wiring in the voltage limiter.,,,,any ideas will be appreciated.
thanks
'67 utiline
'77 ltd2
'96 Ram 2500
'75 power wagon,club cab
'69 sweptline (project)
'62 utiline (project)

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

i doubt much of the wireing between the years is gonna be the same. sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. why not remove the newer harness and just use the 67 wiring harness? it would be a alot easier.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

ramrod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ramrod »

that is an option,but then im not sure how to go about splicing in the electronic ignition into the '67 harness.
'67 utiline
'77 ltd2
'96 Ram 2500
'75 power wagon,club cab
'69 sweptline (project)
'62 utiline (project)

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

67-84

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

I would do similiar to what Wideblock said, use the 67 wiring, the electronic is added to the 67 wiring the same as if its sitting on original frame, thats how we who have electronic ignition did it :Thumbsup

ramrod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ramrod »

how would you add electronic ignition if '67 was on original frame?,,,,not much of a wiring genius here.
also i guess i could buy some after market gauges,but then i would still have to cut the wires from the '84 harness,and splice to new gauges,just want to get the truck going as soon and cheap as possible.
thanks again
'67 utiline
'77 ltd2
'96 Ram 2500
'75 power wagon,club cab
'69 sweptline (project)
'62 utiline (project)

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

electric

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

some one has a schematic of the addition, I did my electronic exchange in 90 and since have updated to MSD which is even easier, you'll need to add the wireing new, along with the solid state voltage regulator that came factory on the 70-71 models, the regulator is inexspensive
CAN SOMEONE POST THE SCHEMATIC??

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Re: electric

Post by Seabee »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:some one has a schematic of the addition, I did my electronic exchange in 90 and since have updated to MSD which is even easier, you'll need to add the wireing new, along with the solid state voltage regulator that came factory on the 70-71 models, the regulator is inexspensive
CAN SOMEONE POST THE SCHEMATIC??
Yes!
I agree it would be simpler to keep the old harness rather than adapting the new. The ignition harness from the donor truck (ECU and distributer) will be used and wires in simply as shown below.

Here's the basic diagram for ECU and distributer;

Here's my '68 diagram with new ignition and new style electronic alt and reg wired in;

ramrod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ramrod »

hi guys,
i REALLY appreciate you all taking the time to reply,as you have in other questions i've had.,,,but i think i found the easiest solution.i was able to cut enough plastic off the '84 gauge housing,so it will fit in the '67 dash,there is gaps on both sides but i can use aluminum or stainless to cover the gaps.then just plug in the harness and should be good.,,,,again THANKS ALOT.
'67 utiline
'77 ltd2
'96 Ram 2500
'75 power wagon,club cab
'69 sweptline (project)
'62 utiline (project)

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

Hack till it fits, that works too! :lol:
Take some pics of the project! Late model electronics adaptation is a subject that comes up often!

ramrod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ramrod »

i'll post pics when its done and let you know if it even works.
'67 utiline
'77 ltd2
'96 Ram 2500
'75 power wagon,club cab
'69 sweptline (project)
'62 utiline (project)

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

ramrod wrote:hi guys,
i REALLY appreciate you all taking the time to reply,as you have in other questions i've had.,,,but i think i found the easiest solution.i was able to cut enough plastic off the '84 gauge housing,so it will fit in the '67 dash,there is gaps on both sides but i can use aluminum or stainless to cover the gaps.then just plug in the harness and should be good.,,,,again THANKS ALOT.
You will have a difficult time getting the the temperature gauge to work with that 84 dash cluster. Reason being, the late 70-mid 80s vehicles incorporated a spark control computer (SCC) or otherwise called a lean burn system. The temperature gauge was tied into a circuit that measured air temp at the carb and intake manifold via sensors. I think you will be ok on the other gauges. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500