Tune Up Parts

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
HuffPuff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Tune Up Parts

Post by HuffPuff »

Im looking to tune-up my 225 3.7l,.. plugs,wires,points &condenser cap and rotor.The last time I did a tune-up
I cant remember what what kind of parts I used(brands)
What I want to know is what brand(accel,msd,mopar,??...) do you guys Recommend for this motor.Im looking for some performance but $$$ is also a factor.
What do you guys run???

Thank you for any replys.

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

Whatever comes off the parts stores shelf for the most part. Plugs, nothing but Champion for me, I don't do cheap points will spend the extra 4-5 bucks, rotor, condenser, cap is what ever they have. Plug wires only the LLTs, (until the co. goes out of business :moom }. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

I'am with jim on the champ plugs & over the counter parts & A good set of 8mm wires
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Before I'd spend the money on points and stuff I'd convert it to a later model electronic ignition. You can use junk yard parts as the cheapest way to do it or distributor and box from the parts house as next most economical way, or a Mopar Performance kit as the best but most expensive way. For a driver, I'd go the junk yard route if it were me.
1969 Adventurer W100

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

$65 and throw a petronix in the factory dist and be done with points from here on out. my truck chews champion plugs for a snack, nothing but autolite here. the better cap and rotor from accel or someone similar is worth the extra cash. compare the over the counter piece to an accel, and the second you pick the 2 up it will become real apparent wich one will last longer. 8mm quality wires all the way as well. ask cowboy, hes driving my old 66 d100 with a poly that hasnt had a tune up in over 2 years. and its running points still. LOL!!! best i figure, thats about 16k miles on that tune up, am i anywhere close dave????
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Tune up

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

I can't be much help here about saving money, I have over 7,000 miles on my autolite spark plugs, THATS THE ONLY THING FOR ME TO CHANGE, I have MSD 6AL and nothing gets changed execpt plugs and cap and rotor, however as most people will tell ya MSD will burn those plugs until their toast, so until they burn down to the last thread on the plug there is no tune up :Thumbsup

HuffPuff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HuffPuff »

Thank you guys for all your input on the subject :Thumbsup
Im thinking of converting to electric ignition, Where can I buy the pertronix kit. I can't find it listed on any of the autoparts websites (napa,advance,autozone,orilley's)?

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

jegs.com or summit.com??
may have to call to order since is not
as common as a v8 application
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Oklahoma
State: OK

Post by cudajimmy »

Use any brand but WELLS on your tune up parts.
69 Barracuda Notchback 440
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto
65 36' Chris Craft Constellation

70-D100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: St. Clair Shores
State: MI

Post by 70-D100 »

I would purchace a new electronic kit from Summit. If you have trouble with installation, their tech support is awsome. Mancini Racing is good too. Junkyard stuff will work, but you won't have the tech support.
I'm sure you'll be happy with electronic ignition.
Have a great day.

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

It's always interesting to me to hear of others experiences and preferences, whether it be spark plugs, oil filters, or anything else auto-related. I used to try to change peoples opinions but now I just say use whatever works for you. I personally only use Champion plugs, and usually run them at least 60K miles with no trouble. Also, for a driver with a /6, you are wasting money if you spend big bucks on a set of 8MM wires. A GOOD set of 7mm wires will give you just as good service and cost less and performance will be no different. I've never used a pertronix setup but you have brought up the first problem with your question. Where do you get it and how readily are replacement parts available if your truck should quit running out on highway 78 between Athens and Loganville? (HuffPuff will know where it's at) If you use a Mopar electronic setup you can always find parts, although you will seldom need them. I don't remember ever hearing anything negative about Pertronix so I'm not saying it's not as good as the Mopar, just offering my opinion. As far as the distributor cap and rotor, most any good brand will last a long time. I think a lot of money is wasted throwing away distributor caps and wires long before their useful life is over.
Well, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it, LOL.
1969 Adventurer W100

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Russ, your right with the 7mm wires I thought he had a V8
trey your close might be a little more , the only thing weve done beside keep the oil chang , is we had to replace the clutch slave cyl once & all is still good , still nice & loud & fast running :Thumbsup
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE