Power locks and windows?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
los

Power locks and windows?

Post by los »

Has anybody converted their doors to fully electrical? When I bought my truck it came with two extra doors to replace the ones now on it that have rust. I have now begun to fix these doors up, someone else had already put in power locks in the extra set of doors. So I was thinking why not go all power on the doors. My question was if anybody had successfully made the conversion, what kit did they use what modifications did they do, where did they got their parts. Basically i want to know everything they did and pics would be great. Thanks

67LB318

Post by 67LB318 »

I haven't made the swap yet, but I'm planning on doing it in the future.

For power locks I've been looking at a company called Electric Life. They make a bunch of electrical accesories for 12 volt systems.

http://www.electric-life.com/main.asp

You can buy their stuff through Summit Racing.

For power windows I've been look at Specialty Power windows.

http://www.specialtypowerwindows.com/

They make some pretty good stuff. Unfortunatley I don't know of any bolt in applications. If you come across one let me know...lol

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I like the idea of power windows. There are aftermarket kits out there but they seem kind of high priced. I was wondering if taking the power actuators from a vehicle with flat glass would work. Maybe it wouldn't have to be a vehicle with flat glass either.

As far as the power locks go, I think Seabee did this. He posted information about this somewhere on the forum.

http://sweptline.org/modules.php?name=F ... 9ecccd4cd4

http://sweptline.org/modules.php?name=F ... 9ecccd4cd4

los

Post by los »

Just went on ebay and got the lock kit like Seabee did and I found a place that may have the window kit and more 'affordable' then some of the thers I've seen. Heres the link.

http://www.ballsrodandkustom.com/javahome.html

mopar400
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bloomingdale, GA

Post by mopar400 »

Any luck with the brake lights?
70 Challenger 506hp 440, 727, 11.29@120mph
1965 Fury II(in pieces)

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

flaming river makes a kick @#% kit thats real easy to install. i helped put one in a 41 ford. been thinking about it for the crew cab, but no one makes a 4 switch panel for the master controls. :pale
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

Hey Los, Here's something that will help; the instructions with the kit are not clear on how to wire up the relays to control the lock actuators. Below is a diagram.

Also; after trying for quite some time I was not able to come up with any way to use the factory lock rod - there is just not enough room to clamp the actuator rod onto the factory lock rod. So.... I tossed the factory lock rod, mounted the actuator in the lower aft of the door, and ran the rod up to the lock lever.

Also; your relay wiring will be easier if you buy the prewired relay sockets with pigtails - they really should come with the kit, but hey for the price I didn't gripe. I just bought a 10-pak of relays and sockets from the same guy. I think it was about $15

I'm way behind on my updates for this project - its been going really slowly. I haven't had much time to work on it and spent a lot of that fighting with the above mentioned factory lock rod. I've got the drivers door together now and am moving over to the passenger side this evening. I took a few pics showing what I'm doing and will post asap.

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Update, with photo's

Post by Seabee »

Actuators are now installed in both doors, and wires run into cab. All that remains is wiring up the relays.

Here is a shot of the actuator and linkage rod, with the rod on the left being the one I bent to fit.

Here is the first location I tried for the actuator (that didn't work). I'm holding the actuator in the approximate position it would be in inside the door.

Here is the location that I ultimately installed the actuators.

And finally; here's why my locks didn't work with the door key - this tab was broken off and lying in the bootom of the door.