Help! . . .brrrrr . . .below zero in Denver!

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
thorman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Nope
State: Foreign

Help! . . .brrrrr . . .below zero in Denver!

Post by thorman »

My (heater) blower motor finally went out on me. This morning when I went to work it was something like -14F! Serioulsy. I got a blower motor from Napa today, but that's not the right fit. That'll have to go back. Mine has a flange around the center of the motor. JCW has one that appears to be the right thing, however, I'm trying to find something sooner than mail order! Any Ideas? :banghead Any help is appreciated, as always. Please. . . . . . . . :pale

btw, '70, no air.

Is this my only hope?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... er%20motor
Last edited by thorman on Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

NO HEAT

Post by GMAN69 »

DID YOU CHECK THE MOTOR TO MAKE SURE IT IS BAD AND NOT THE SWITCH OR FUSE. IF YOU HAVE IT OUT IT WOULD BE EASY TO CHECK MAKE SURE IT TURNS FREELY AND HOOK WIRES TO IT FROM ANOTHER 12V SOURCE YOU KNOW WORKS. YOU MAY HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS. GOOD LUCK

thorman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by thorman »

Yeah, I tested the motor out of the heater housing. Power's there, fuse is good, but zero movement.

I need to find a workng (or new) one in a hurry! This morning as I was driving to work, I had the steering wheel in my left hand and a long ice scraper in my right hand - for the inside of the windshield! Yeah, it's Ccccccooooooollllllddddddd hhheeerrrrreeeee . . . . . . . .

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

i havent taken my blower motor apart yet but i need to it makes a grinding sound. im sure u can take them apart to c what is going on it could b a brush fell out of its socket or someting little like that. elec motors r realy simple if u have the time to take them apart. but i would check if it is getting power to mhe motor b4 i got to into it

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

thatoneguy wrote:i havent taken my blower motor apart yet but i need to it makes a grinding sound. im sure u can take them apart to c what is going on it could b a brush fell out of its socket or someting little like that. elec motors r realy simple if u have the time to take them apart. but i would check if it is getting power to mhe motor b4 i got to into it
I don't think I have ever one that did not make some sort of noise.

Thorman, I have one sitting in my garage, I'll check it tomorrow and let you know. Jim

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

thor I have a couple out in the barn also , if jim's don't work , I see if they still work tomorrow
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Butte
State: MT

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

Thorman;

When I finally replaced the one in the '64, I got a new one from Bumper-to-Bumper or Carquest. The 2 long bolts that hold it together had to be trimmed to not interfere with the squirrel cage, but the results were phenominal! The AMP gauge didn't swing so wildly when blower on, it actually HEATED the cab well, and it was quiet(er)!

This was about 6 years ago. Replaced the heater core, too.

PwrWgnWalt :usa

thorman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by thorman »

PwrWgnWalt wrote:Thorman;

When I finally replaced the one in the '64, I got a new one from Bumper-to-Bumper or Carquest. The 2 long bolts that hold it together had to be trimmed to not interfere with the squirrel cage, but the results were phenominal! The AMP gauge didn't swing so wildly when blower on, it actually HEATED the cab well, and it was quiet(er)!

This was about 6 years ago. Replaced the heater core, too.

PwrWgnWalt :usa

I thought about trying something like that with the one I got at Napa. Problem is, the wires exit the motor case on the wrong end and would be in the way of the fan. I also considered pulling the new motor from its housing and transplanting it into the existing case with the flange(assuming I could get around the wiring issue), but with the motor being the WRONG one, the size would be off just enough to not let that work. :pale So now, after messing with that, I'm just going to replace it.

JimE or cowboy, I might have to take you up on that offer. I'll let you guys know. :Thumbsup

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by JimE »

Thorman, sorry I have been slow in responding (it will be spring soon,J/K). I had to work the weekend and have been busy trying to help another sweptline junkie with an epay purchase. I will get to it manana. Jim

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Heater Motor

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Sorry Thorman, if I had the place to put the parts trucks, and the money to have bought them, you could have had one Saturday morning when it was -18 below, all my vehicles were slow to start, reminded me when I was in Alaska but we had block heaters, battery blankets, and oil heaters there :Thumbsup

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Heater Motor

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Sorry Thorman, if I had the place to put the parts trucks, and the money to have bought them, you could have had one Saturday morning when it was -18 below, all my vehicles were slow to start, reminded me when I was in Alaska but we had block heaters, battery blankets, and oil heaters there :Thumbsup

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by JimE »

Thorman, I finally tested the spare blower I have. The good news, it works, but only on high speed. The bad news, the fan is wobbly on the motor shaft like it has a bearing going bad.

If you think you can work with it, or anyone else for that matter (you have first dibs). It is yours for the price of postage. Let me know . Jim

thorman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by thorman »

Sounds like mine did before it gave up the ghost. I'll pass, but thanks very much for the offer. :salut

duracell
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Peoria,Arizona

Post by duracell »

as always and sometimes not,steve

thorman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by thorman »

duracell, thanks. That's the wrong one that I got and ended up returning to napa.

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Thor, i guess your still needing a blower for a 69-71 non AC D100 , if so I have two heater boxes out back from this style truck , now the :bs is over I'll check tomorrow & see what's what & let you know what you'll have to hock to pay for it , oh wate I DON'T DO E BAY :joker , but will check & let you know
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

thorman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by thorman »