my latest idea

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
shaq787
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

my latest idea

Post by shaq787 »

For the past few days i've been having problems with my electrical system and am concidering redoing all of the wires. The problem is that this is my daily driver, and i dont know a whole lot about wireing. is this something i should try or will i end up regreting this?

if you're reading this within an hour or two of me posting this, chances are that i'm outside on this cold dark night trying to find where my paracidic draw is.

-Alex
Project truck: 67 D-100
tryin to turn it into a hotrod on a very limited budget.

shaq787
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by shaq787 »

i just remembered the other thing i was wondering about. has anyone here done this before and do you have any tips?

-Alex

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

wiring

Post by GMAN69 »

if you are not confident and do rewire do one circuit at a time. get that one working befofe you do another.make sure you dont hook up on a line with heavier amperage fuse and youll do fine.wire splices need to be done securely either with plug in or crimp on connectors if wires are just twisted together and taped they can corrode. souldering is also a good alternative.
good luck

shaq787
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by shaq787 »

Thanks for the input GMAN69. it turned out that the draw was somewhre in my radio circut, i just riped the wires out of it and will leave that for another day. No i didnt damage a stock radio, its a sony x-plod, no worrys.

need to test a few more things, its not charging the battery now.

-Alex

MarsMonster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Seattle/WA

Post by MarsMonster »

I rewired my whole truck. My truck is a 1966 D100 and I used the wiring harness from a donor 1968 D100. Everything connected properly. There is one wiring harness under the firewall and one wiring harness under the dash.

It is important to note that I also had a 1968 D100 donor dash so that I could swap out stuff like the ignition switch and other switches so that I could plug stuff into them with the 1968 D100 wiring harness.

The job ended neat and tidy. Prior to the rewire the underdash wiring was a sea of cut and spliced wires, what a mess.

Please note also that I used the wiring diagrams for the 1968 model year. I had to trace out a few things toward the end.

There was one benifit in using the later year wiring harness because it has the added back-up light option wired into it.

Mars