Radio issues

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
heviarti
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Radio issues

Post by heviarti »

I have a factory AM radio in my '64 D200. It lights up, after replacing the speaker it whistles and gives me static, but beyond that I get nothing. I can say when i test from the antenna connector to the antenna end i get continuity, but seeing as i don't know what to actually test the antenna for... that could be meaningless. DOes anyone know anything about testing/troubleshooting these radios?

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

radio trouble

Post by GMAN69 »

if you have continuity from center post of antenna lead wire to chassie ground your antenna is shorted. easiest test is to try plugging another antenna in. just hold antenna outside of cab for test. if you still have nothing might try taking radio to repair shop. good luck

heviarti
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by heviarti »

yeah. center post to steering shaft. I'll see if i can figure out where it's grounding and patch it up.

heviarti
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by heviarti »

WEll, a new antenna later and it works.... sorta. I have some alternator whine, but not as bad as my CB. The radio has various high pitched whines and howls throughout the dial. Makes it hard to listen to KFXD.

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

radio trouble

Post by GMAN69 »

make sure your ground wire from engine to chassie is in place good and tight and no corrosion. if that doesnt work you may need a noise suppressor

duracell
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Peoria,Arizona

Post by duracell »

i'd go with the noise suppressor anyway. you may get even more noise if you upgrade your coil to something bigger. that's what happenend to me when i put the accell super coil in my 70. the lastest radio i put in my truck has a noise suppressor and i never hear that anoying buzzing sound anymore
as always and sometimes not,steve