brake lights quit

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
los

brake lights quit

Post by los »

Ok fellas, I am now getting deeper into my wiring then I really wanted to go. I figured out my front left turn light so thats working now and I put in new reverse lights and they work good. However, the brake lights no longer work. rear turns are good but the right hand side is dimmer than the left. Emergency flashers are a go too. but no brake lights. I noticed this yesterday because it used to be when I pushed the brake pedal the left turn dash light would go on along with the rear brake lights, now it dont. I realize that the left turn dash light was the result of some hyniack playing with wires but now I got nothin'. The two leads that go into the brake switch, one is hot and the other is the lead to the brake lights right? If I bypass the switch and go from lead to lead wouldnt that turn the brake lights on? Again fellas I'm floundering here, how bout giving me another hand?

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

brake lights

Post by GMAN69 »

my bet would be break light switch .bypassing will tell you the lights should come on. one side being dimmer on signal lights sounds like a ground problem.

los

Post by los »

Bypassing didnt work, Now what? Any thoughts?

mopar400
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bloomingdale, GA

Brake lights

Post by mopar400 »

I had some brake light trouble. It was in my turn signal switch. The wire from the brake switch goes to the turn signal switch because they use the same wiring from turn switch to bulb element. The brake lamps or appropriate turn signal will light depending on turn signal switch location. It is possible there is a contact problem from the brake switch to the turn switch or in the turn switch. Do you have 12 volts at the brake switch? If so it is probubly a malfunction in the area of the turn switch. I found a wiring diagram in my 1966 fury service manual and they have similar circuits. Hope this helps. Mopar400
70 Challenger 506hp 440, 727, 11.29@120mph
1965 Fury II(in pieces)

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Make sure you have a good ground strap to your frame,cab,and bed.Add new ones if need be.

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

If the signal works on both sides but the brake light
does not, it is not a ground problem.
It's ether wiring falt ( grounded wire ie. short) or the signal switch is not passing the
brake signal.
Right side is green wire out of columm and should
be tested there for both signal and brake before checking wires under the bed.
A dim light would say that ether the wire does not
have good contact, ground or bulb is in backward in the
socket.
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400