Horn problem

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
los

Horn problem

Post by los »

Ok, The horn will blow if connected and I push the center horn button, fine. However it will also blow when pressure is applied to the steering wheel itself. I took the horn switch off the steering wheel but I can still make the horn blow by pushing on the wheel. I figure it is some sort of short in the column but I cant take the wheel off! There is a center nut that I removed but that still wont let me get the wheel off!? What do I do now?

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

stop pushing on the S wheel comes to mind :joker , LOS they make a puller for that or you can put the nut on just flush with top of stud & brace knees up againest the wheel & bean it dead center with a ford wrench aka - A big hammer & push up your knees at the same time should pop off BUT MAKE SURE YOU HIT DEAD CENTER & NOT IS FLUSH ON THE TOP OF STUD
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

horn problem

Post by GMAN69 »

it would probably be better to get a puller if you are not sure about pulling the wheel be sure to mark what position the wheel is in so it wont be turned when you drive straight . it sounds like you have a bare wire in coloum or at top of coloum even with wheel off it may still be difficult to find the problem i wish you luck

los

Post by los »

yup, I tried the pull and pound technique and got nowhere. So where do I get a puller?

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

Hit your local parts store, 10-15. for a decent one. Jim

mesman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Largo, Fl
State: FL

Post by mesman »

I have a tip no one mentioned. Even when using a puller, leave the nut on when breaking the wheel loose! If there is nothing to stop the wheel when it comes off, it can really hurt! Not that I have ever tried that or anything :pale
I always wanted to be a BEACH BUM!

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

Some parts stores like Auto Zone rent tools.
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed

bean
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cuba
State: AL

Post by bean »

mesman wrote:I have a tip no one mentioned. Even when using a puller, leave the nut on when breaking the wheel loose! If there is nothing to stop the wheel when it comes off, it can really hurt! Not that I have ever tried that or anything :pale
Yes leave the nut on the end of the threads...sometime they are tight and when they come loose they pop. An if your sittin behind it, ill tell ya steerin wheels dont taste to good mixed with blood comin off your lip...or just for that yhey dont taste good in the first place..lol..Check autozone they rent tool...u can keep them for 48 hours and when u take them back they give u a full refund...one reason i like autozone.
1965 Utiline D100 Shorty.../6...3spd...orange...102,000 miles.

1970 Shortbox D100...318...727...almond white..467,000 miles...currently in restoration..

1991 Dodge Ram 50

1968 C@^^@R()
My web page: http://www.myspace.com/chainsawdudewitprobs

duracell
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Peoria,Arizona

Post by duracell »

yea i've got one of those autozone specials from a buddy of mine. works great especially when you have nothing else :Thumbsup
as always and sometimes not,steve