Oil Idiot light convert to guage?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
los

Oil Idiot light convert to guage?

Post by los »

How hard is it to switch from an idiot light setup to a gauge? Tools, parts, time?

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

OIL PRESSURE GUAGE

Post by GMAN69 »

IT DEPENDS ON WEATHER IT IS O. E. M. OR AFTERMARKET GUAGE. ALSO IF IT IS ELECTRICAL OR MECHANICAL

jack
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

If you want..

Post by jack »

to convert from an idiot light to a mechanical gauge, it's pretty easy. Buy a gauge from the local autoparts store. It includes the necessary fittings, flexible oil line, and a dash light. Generally, you'll have to unscrew the fitting from the block that the idiot light electric terminal attached to. Screw in the new gauge fitting with adapter, attach the flexible line, mount the gauge to the dash, and it's good to go.

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

los , the swap is easy , if your going to use a aftermarket gauge , just simple hand tools , you did'nt say what engine you have , but on the /6 sending unit by oil filter & on the 318 it's in the rear by the dist, all the fitting are in the oil gauge kit , locate where your putting the new gauge mount it look for a small hole in the firewall & run the tubing , , then pull the old sending unit out & find the right fitting & install hook up the end of tubing on engine side , & a safety tip I wrap black tape around the tubing where it go's through the firewall hook it at the gauge , leave it a little loose , put a old rag under it & start it up & look at the line you'll see oil & air pockets , once it bleeds out the air tighten it up & your good to go
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

los

thanks for the info

Post by los »

Thanks fellas, youve been very helpful, my truck has the 318 and the guage is off an extra gauge cluster of the same year so its a factory electrical gauge. Would this factory gauge marry up with an aftermarket kit?

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

oil pressure guage

Post by GMAN69 »

howdy
using a factory guage you need sending unit in block of your 318 tell parts dealer you need sending unit year of engine and you need it for guage not light. (the units work diffirently) then change the guage . you should not need to buy anything else.
its a prety simple swap good luck

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

I'm pretty sure that the fuel guage used with the oil pressure guage is different than the fuel guage that is used when you have an oil light. I assume it has to do with the built in voltage regulator in the guage. This might not be a problem if you use one of the external vr's mentioned in one of the other posts.
1969 Adventurer W100

los

Post by los »

Now I've been looking around and I've heard of having bothe the guage set up and a light with a special split sender. Has anybody tried one of these on our trucks?

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

guage change

Post by GMAN69 »

i have light and guage on my 69 d100 i used a tee and short piece of pipe that gives you two outlets for sending units

los

Post by los »

what are the sizes on the tee and the pipe set up :study ? Where did you get yours? Preety slick idea on the splitter, I dig it :Thumbsup . And where did you get your gauge sender?