dash light flickers '65 a100

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
shelby

Post by shelby »

The light flickers when I hit a bump. The road is rough where I Iive, cobblestone and dirt, and the darn light will not stop turning off and back on. I would love it to work reliably. I can't find where the issue is? Particularly because it is so tight in there I can varely get the panel to move more then inch out when unscrewed. It is surprisngly difficult to solve since I can't tell if it is working on the day time and at night it is too dark to see what is happening behind the dash. oh well

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

There are a number of things that can make the dash lights flicker (cut off and on).

Poor ground to dash is one, run a ground wire
from the guage pod to the fire wall.

Headlight switch, reostat is dirty, pull and clean headlight switch. The reostat is right on the front part of the switch. You may also get it to work better by just twisting the switch so the dash lights on/off< dimm to bright.. To remove switch, you must push button on the switch case, that releases the handle
that pulls out the front and then you can unscrew the nut on the front of switch> it is best to do this with the dash pod out so you can see what your doing.

Bulb holders in dash pod do not have good contact to dash pod, remove the holders and pry out the little metal tab that make contact to the dash pod and provides ground to bulb, also clean tab.

Bad bulbs is also a possablity, but if they blink at the same time most likely that is not the problem.
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

shelby

Post by shelby »

terrific thanks. I am on it.

65D100

Post by 65D100 »

Are you sure it's only the dash pod lights blinking?? I had a similar issue and when I got out to look under the hood, I found the headlights were doing the same thing....just harder to detect.

I ran a fresh ground from the Negative side of the battery to the firewall using the regulator screw and star washer as a hold down and this cleared everythng up. the grounds on these things are just not good......

I had to change out my wire harness and while doing so ran all new #8 ground straps everywhere. I also have a 62 Lancer with an Aluminum /6 so grounding there is critical since the cast iron head and aluminum block will corrode each other if they are not independently grounded. :2cents