Gages: fuel and temp not working

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Adam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Angeles
State: CA

Gages: fuel and temp not working

Post by Adam »

I've read through the posts and I can see that other truck owners have had problems with the fuel/tempgages. Both of my trucks have fuel and temp gages that do not work or work sporaticly and when they do, they are somtimes inaccurate. I've replaced gages with NOS ones, and sending units only to have the same problems come back. I think I've pinpointed the problem at least with my troubles. The gages in our trucks are thermo-electric as electricity is passed through a small wire wrapped around a thin piece of metal.The wire heats up and bends and the metal moving the needle across the face of the gage (like a bimetalic thermostat coil), more current (less resistance) the farther the gage moves. Inside the fuel gage there is a similar arrangement only instead of a needle there are two contacts, they open and close to limit the voltage going to the fuel and temp gages. Full battery voltage will cause the gage to read maximum (contacts are held shut), with the points open the gages will read empty or cold. The voltage at the back of the temputure gage should fluctuate if the voltage limiter is operating correctly, although mine appears to operate fine untill a certain point and then the points will stick open or shut. Now the question is does any one now how to fix this short of having the fuel gage rebuilt.

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

As Ed use to say to Johnny on the old Tonight Show " YOU ARE CORRECT SIR". I had to sit down at my computer and put in the manual on cd and read this same info, after I f'ed up 2 fuel guages to figure it out.

As for rebuilding a fuel guage, never heard of it. The voltage limiter is inside the fuel guage that operates both the fuel and temp guages. I am still in the experimental process with the whole wiring thing on my 64. Jim

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

One thing that you should check if, you are getting readings only part of the time, is make sure your gauge cluster is well grounded. Most of the early to mid 60s trucks did not have a ground wire from the gauge pod to the fire wall and
without the guage pod grounded right you will get readings of the gauges that respond to weak or no ground, regardless of what the sending units tell the gauges.
Grounding of the gauge pod in early trucks used only the screws that hold the pod to the dash, these were often not enough.
Later 60s trucks will have a white wire that is attached to the guage pod near the alt gauge then to the fire wall.
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

65D100

Post by 65D100 »

There are documented remedies for the gauge regulator issues on http://www.slantsix.org

Look under artices and search guages. One modification is to use the gauge regulator out of a 75> instrument cluster still available from year one or your local parts store, a metal relay looking device.

Or if you are handy with electronics there is an article on how to build an entirely electronic regulator circuit to house behind the dash. Both good fixes. My recollection is that the internal fuel gauge regulator can be bypassed to accomodate this.

Before going to any of this trouble, it is a good idea to check and make sure you have a good ground at the firewall and behind the cluster.

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

http://members.aol.com/moparnuts/modify.htm
above is link to a updated limiter.
I also have instructions on how to test your fuel gauge
at my photo page below in tech section.
When shops rebuild the truck gauges they can not replace the stock regulator inside the gauge, why? there not made anymore.
What to do if you have one rebuilt?
make the above or buy a limiter from a car set that are still made and wire it in to the 12volt side of the gauge before it enters the gauge.
The gauges can be rebuilt, just without the regulator.
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!