Wiper Motor - Park Position

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
RonHall76
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Spokane
State: WA

Wiper Motor - Park Position

Post by RonHall76 »

Even though there are a number of threads on wipers I thought I would start one on "Park" position to aid in search.

Have seen "Park" wire and the word park mentioned in other threads ...

Down to the horn (wiring in column) and wipers on a frame-off restoration of a 68 W200. I have a mechanically restored/running 1967 W100 to refer to/reference.

Replaced all wiring (except in the steering column tube) with a Painless system.

Using the original wiper motor. Bought a new old stock switch and circuit breaker. Wipers/switch are wired for key off. Wipers work at variable speeds when switch is turned on and the wiper movement range is correct.

Issue - When you turn off the switch the "park" position is improper. At about 90°to proper location (points pretty close to up). The switch and motor appears to be going through the park process. IE when you turn the switch the motor continues to operate until if puts the wipers in a specific position.

I cannot find any detailed info on how to take the arm off the motor. It looks like it is pressed on. That said, am wondering if it got removed during painting (I did not paint) and just got put back on in an incorrect position.

Everything appears to be working correctly on the switch and motor. It Just looks like the arm is off 90°.Have a couple of spare motors (out of their trucks) to experiment with for disassembly, but no clear idea how to take the arm out of the motor.

Would be nice to not have to remove the motor, just remove arm and rotate 90°.

Even better would be if there is a setting screw/adjustment screw for "park" on the switch assembly itself.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Wiper Motor - Park Position

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Does it correct the position by switching the arms at the connection to the motor?
Usually this situation occurs when the motor has been disassembled and incorrectly put back together.

RonHall76
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by RonHall76 »

1. I have never taken the wiper motor apart

2. All the wiper arm connections to the motor arm are the same as on the working 1967.

3. All range of motion is correct when the wipers run. When you turn the switch off the wipers continue to run to return to a park position, but they stop before they get there. Wiper blades end up up on windshield, with the motor arm pointing up/vertical when it should be flat pointing at the driver side.

It seems to me that something is off in the "park" setting. If i were to take the motor arm off and adjust 90° it would mean that the the whole wiper range would change and make the wipers work improperly when they are turned on.

The service manuals I have are for 1966, and 1967-1968 (combined), The 66 version talks about a park setting on the motor. The 67-68 talks about a park setting on the panel switch. Neither manual has an illustration indicating where the set screw is ...

Both manuals talk about taking the motor apart but neither has detailed illustrations.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

RonHall76 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:08 pm
.... If i were to take the motor arm off and adjust 90° it would mean that the the whole wiper range would change and make the wipers work improperly when they are turned on.....
No, they would work fine. If you can do that, then problem solved.