Horn Wire - Black Wire in Column

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
ardentindustries
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Boise
State: ID

Horn Wire - Black Wire in Column

Post by ardentindustries »

Hey all,
Hoping someone can tell me where the "lower" contact point is for the black wire that is visible when removing the horn button?

On my '69 D300, I can see the male spade terminal but no wire exists there. I've traced the ground wire from the horn, through the bulkhead connector, turns into a black wire via a connector under the dash (multiple wire connector), then up through the column and to the horn contact roller. I have confirmed the horn works when the spring loaded roller is grounded.

I understand the horn operates when ground is sent to it. I can understand how pushing the horn, makes metal contact between the two metal rings, grounding the spring loaded roller tip...but not sure where to pull the ground from.

In short, the little black wire that plugs into the male spade connector visible on top of the horn assembly, where does the other end attach to? Maybe a ring terminal that goes under the head of one of the turn signal cam mounting screws?

Any input would be appreciate.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Horn Wire - Black Wire in Column

Post by 712edf »

I don't recall how it is all hooked up, but you are correct in that the horn blows when the ground circuit is completed by depressing the horn ring/button.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Horn Wire - Black Wire in Column

Post by dodgeboykim »

So its good to go at the roller grounded.
Does steering wheel have the contact ring.
Is it contacting the roller..
Wire comes through a hole to side of shaft and connects to horn switch in turn grounding through column when button depressed.
So whats missing. Pictures if you have no idea.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.