Where did you mount your tach?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Where did you mount your tach?

Post by chilort »

Ordered a tach hoping to mount it on the steering column but there's not enough space. Didn't get a pie plate sized tach either.

Where did your mount yours and can you share some pictures?

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Re: Where did you mount your tach?

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

The tach on mine is mounted on the steering column. This was done by previous owner. It does the job, but I really wish I had the heavy duty truck dash that has the tach in it.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by chilort »

I'm thinking of fabricating something that comes off the dash pad mounts. At the same time, I don't want something that wobbles / vibrates

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

A little pricey, but you can fit your truck with the heavy duty gauge option utilizing current aftermarket gauges. They even have a panel to fit 69-71 dash:
https://boeseengineering.com/product-ca ... ge-panels/
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Those panels are nice, but not arranged the same as factory HD. There is an econo version there that has all 6 gauges for $140-155 with 5 choices for gauge brand. That's cheap!

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by martincom »

The econo version is just the panel, without gauges. But, Hey, we like your thinking and keep those positive waves coming!
1*1971 D100 318 A/T

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Site is easily misunderstood with just a quick look. But, wishful thinking is always fun and at least now I know what the set of Dolphin gauges in my 66 are worth. :Thumbsup

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

martincom wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:36 pm
A little pricey, but you can fit your truck with the heavy duty gauge option utilizing current aftermarket gauges. They even have a panel to fit 69-71 dash:
No, that's a LOT pricey. Most any shop with a CNC llaser or plasma cutter can knock out one of those panels for less than a couple of hundred bucks. Eve n a CNC water jet can do it. Eve n less if you want to do your own minor deburring and finishing. A lot less than that if they've already got the CAM file and somebody wants to hold a minor inventory.

BTW, I already have done more than one CAD layout for that panel, but it has not been tested. I tried fitting a vacuum gauge in the middle, but it was awfully tight.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Wildergarten wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:06 pm
martincom wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:36 pm
No, that's a LOT pricey. Most any shop with a CNC llaser or plasma cutter can knock out one of those panels for less than a couple of hundred bucks. Eve n a CNC water jet can do it. Eve n less if you want to do your own minor deburring and finishing. A lot less than that if they've already got the CAM file and somebody wants to hold a minor inventory.

BTW, I already have done more than one CAD layout for that panel, but it has not been tested. I tried fitting a vacuum gauge in the middle, but it was awfully tight.
They offer the panel only, as noted above, for $140-155 and in several finishes. That IS less than a couple hundred bucks.
Interesting name for the company. Boese is the German word for "evil".

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by chilort »

The factory location seems neat. But I've already got this tach and am likely going to try to make a mount for it. I certainly want something I can remove and that doesn't make a permanent change to the truck itself (I've done plenty of that already).

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by martincom »

Wildergarten wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:06 pm

The '69 - '71 panel appears to replace the standard cluster. So it is not a simply flat piece, but has rolled edges. So there is a bit more to that one. I thought their pricing was fair.

If price is an issue, you can utilize their panel (or make your own) and install a set of the India "Smith's" gauges. You can purchase a full set for less than $50 on Ebay.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:02 pm
They offer the panel only, as noted above, for $140-155 and in several finishes. That IS less than a couple hundred bucks.
Interesting name for the company. Boese is the German word for "evil".
So I called the machine shop with which I do business, and they said laser cutting the stainless would be between $50-80. I try never to underestimate pricing.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

On my former '61. no dash pad.
Attachments
023 (640x480) (3).jpg
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by chilort »

Txas2step wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:29 am
On my former '61. no dash pad.
Looks clean!

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

is that a factory cluster
i like the chrome trim ..
no radio or cig lighter but looks up scale ...nice

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

That's the 61 factory cluster and the trim is also factory. Cig lighter and radio were options in those days. The ash tray lid is a later version, not 61.

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

i'm putting a 65 dash in my 67 just to get rid of the odd looking pad
ill have to find the chrome strip ...or make something

RonHall76
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by RonHall76 »

Stumbled across this post while doing some research on routing the engine side fuel line on the 318 i had rebuilt.

Always something to do ....

Have been doing a Painless rewire on a 68 W200 (Braden PTO Winch) that I stuck a 63 cab on because I wanted the twin headlight look.

Wanted to upgrade the gauges so that I am reading numbers. Also wanted to do away with the ammeter, change to an electric oil unit, and add a tach.

I am not an engine nut, but spent a lot of time on the road and running heavy equipment.

Spent a bunch of time research cluster modifications. Have also been looking into this for a few years on our daughters 72 valiant/225 slant 6 (the "Duel" car). If you are a Mopar person and like to take them on road trips check out her car's website - https://sites.google.com/site/lolathevaliant/

Stumbled across Boese and talked to them. Going to try them out, but thought I would take the time to explain why.

I know CAD/Revit and am an expert with SketchUp ... so I could probably do a template file for a shop, buy the gauges and save myself some money ... but it doesn't look like much, when you figure in the time and the chance I (or the shop) could screw up. Respect anyone who takes this on.

From my perspective/talks with Boese ... they do the template, supply the gauges (attachment points/brackets if any), sensors (not fuel), LED turn signal and high beam indicators. The panel comes unassembled so you can paint it if you want before assembly. You can also buy LED bulbs from them (they will not send gauges with LED bulbs).

You can use their website to cherry pick a wide variety of options/styles. Because I want to remain married after 40 plus years ... I came up with brush finished, Auto Meter Street Rod Series (w tach), Mechanical Speedometer (matches my cable), and fuel gauge that should match my sending unit.

Cost was $655 plus tax and shipping (About $30. UPS). If you want, you can pick something that costs twice that much if it makes you feel better.

Decided to do it because I am doing a complete rewire with the exception of most of the light assemblies (which I am refurbishing). Painless comes with a maxifuse and a new fuse box. With a Mopar version I even get a new ballast resistor.

Soooo - tach and all gauges (with numbers) will be mounted right in from of me. Bud quoted me $450. plus $35 shipping for a HD cluster he has that I would still have to modify.

FYI - part of the reason I am doing this is that I am driving a 67 W200 (318 with period Carter 4 barrel, Edelbrock intake and headers) short bed as our ranch truck. Totally rebuilt it mechanically. It has original harness and fusebox. It has a added cluster of Smith gauges mounted to the bottom of the dash that are very accurate, but in a hard to read location.

So for such a long post.

Go sidetracked - still need to post about routing my fuel line from pump up to the carb.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by martincom »

I think your reasoning is solid and you made a good choice. I can't speak for all years, but I believe the HD gauge option on the '69 - '71 cabs utilized a different dash frame than standard, as well.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Same dash on 69-71 with HD cluster.