Quick question on fuel sending unit

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Pbot
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Redondo Beach
State: CA

Quick question on fuel sending unit

Post by Pbot »

Hi All

Been searching for an answer to no avail. I recently purchased a reman fuel sending unit as mine was completely rusted out. I did test the fuel gauge per all the info in this forum and it seems to work fine. However when installing new sending unit, I didn’t get a reading. I have zero resistance in sending wire. So, I ended up pulling the gauge and grounding the metal tube while everything else was plugged in and the sender registered fine with the gauge.

My question is does the sending unit flange that seals the tank supposed to be grounded to the tank, and tank to body, thereby establishing a good chassis ground? I recently pulled my tank and resealed it, and am wondering if maybe I lost a good ground by doing so. Or does the sending unit not need ground for it to register correctly? I have seen reman sending units for other applications and there are two connections on top, one goes to gauge, other is supposed to be grounded….

Any advice would help!

Thanks, Peter

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos

Re: Quick question on fuel sending unit

Post by Wildergarten »

Pbot wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:17 am
My question is does the sending unit flange that seals the tank supposed to be grounded to the tank,
Yes it is and good diagnosis on your part! The cam-clip that compresses the gasket underneath completes the ground from the sender to the tank. You might want to put star washers on one of the bolts holding the tank, one behind the tank completing the ground and another under the head of the bolt to make that connection redundant (I know that's a "ground loop" but it's so short it won't matter).

Either way, grounding the tank is a good thing to do to reduce the potential of a surface that big building up static charge. Let that spark your imagination.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Pbot
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Redondo Beach

Re: Quick question on fuel sending unit

Post by Pbot »

Great Mark thanks so much. I think I will do the star washer method and then sand the cam clip a little bit. I’ll get on it and report back. Yes! Probably pretty important to make sure tank is grounded lol.